cyclonejohn

Thursday, May 07, 2009

I don't know what "it" is. But he's got it.

Day four in Chicago and still so far so good. I have been gradually getting to know the city and I am liking it more and more. I baby-sat a neighbor's German Shepherd puppy yesterday and we spent the day getting to know all of North Chicago. I wish I could say I have been spending my time going to swanky bars and clubs, but with me still being unemployed, I have still had a nice time just exploring. One thing I love so much about Chicago is that there are so many neighborhoods to explore that are very different. I will give you an example. I live on the very Western tip of Wrigleyville. Wrigleyville is a yuppie area with a lot of frat guys, sorority girls, and former jocks. It is full of young people that like sports, and having a good time. The next neighborhood I border is Boystown - Chicago's gay neighborhood. It is very clear when you cross from Wrigleyville into Boystown. Chicago is full of all kinds of these different neighborhoods. This is very different than Minneapolis. Minneapolis has gay bars but not an area set aside where gays live. Minneapolis has things to do for yuppies who like sports, but not all in one area. It is not simply just that Chicago is larger than Minneapolis. Its whole structure is radically different. The only thing that is the same is the suburbs. I assure you an Applebee's in Palatine is the same as an Applebee's in Woodbury.

1. I cannot believe there is a real chance that Favre might be a Viking. If I am Coach Childress, the only way I agree to signing Favre is if I tell him he has to be at every single practice. Last year he rolled into the Jets only about four weeks before the season. That is not enough time to build chemistry with teammates and learn the playbook.

2. Currently listening to Belle and Sebastian's "Get me away from here I'm dying."

4 Comments:

At 10:16 AM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

Minneapolis doesn't segregate their gays into a "town" of sorts. They are allowed to live anywhere. Stupid Chi-town racists.

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

that's not racist....and they're not FORCED to live there. they can live wherever they'd like...but why not live around other gays/lesbians/humanzees/bisexuals?

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger Jon said...

1) I assure you, an Applebee's in [anywhere] is exactly the same as one in [anywhere else].

2) Belle & Sebastian?? Nice.

3) Speaking of music, have you heard of the band The Feelies? They were around in the early 80s (I remember reading somewhere that R.E.M. cited them as a large influence), and they recently reunited. Lucky for you, they are putting on a FREE show in Milennium Park at the end of June. So it goes without saying, you better go you broke bastard (if not for you, then for me, who's stuck in this sad, musicless country).

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger cyclonejohn said...

The Feelies show in June. I will be there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home