cyclonejohn

Tuesday, May 05, 2009

I'm here

I'm here; and it is still a strange feeling. I feel less like I have moved into a new "home" and more like I am staying in the spare bedroom at a friend's house. I think that is because I am such a creature of habit and everything is so different here. I always used to say that Chicago was just a bigger Minneapolis but it is actually very different. I will spend many times in the next few months highlighting differences. I am still homesick but every hour it is getting better. At first I thought the move was kind of like I was going to college again. However, the more I think about it, it is the exact opposite. At college, every single one of my friends was going to college. We were all in the same boat. Now, I am the only one moving and everyone else is staying the same. Plus, when you get to college, you are surrounded by young people who are as confused as you are. There are maps and people everywhere to guide you along. Here, I am depending on reliable friends and mapquest. In addition, when you get to college everyone has a purpose - to further his/her education. I am yet to find my purpose as to why I have moved to Chicago. Don't take my writing the wrong way. The weather has been beautiful. The food has been outstanding. The people here have been warm and inviting. The city is alive, fascinating, and very active. When asked how long I will stay in Chicago by family and friends I stutter and cannot completely answer the question. My perfect situation is to find a great girl who desperately wants to move somewhere that we would never have to wear a winter jacket again. Naturally, she would come from a lot of money which would give me more time to focus on writing my novel. Bottom line, 36 hours into Chicago, is so far so good.

3 Comments:

At 11:46 AM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

How you uh, how you comin' on that novel you're working on? Huh? Gotta a big, uh, big stack of papers there? Gotta, gotta nice litte story you're working on there? Your big novel you've been working on for 3 years? Huh? Gotta, gotta compelling protaganist? Yeah? Gotta obstacle for him to overcome? Huh? Gotta story brewing there? Working on, working on that for quite some time? Huh? (voice getting higher pitched) Yea, talking about that 3 years ago. Been working on that the whole time? Nice little narrative? Beginning, middle, and end? Some friends become enemies, some enemies become friends? At the end your main character is richer from the experience? Yeah? Yeah? (voice returns to normal) No, no, you deserve some time off.

 
At 1:03 PM, Anonymous Mike Tieden said...

Here's a tip for you...
Go to the legendary Ditka's Restaurant in the great city of Chicago US of A. Order a pitcher of beer and some Polish Sausage. Meet up with Bill Swirsky's superfans, and cheer for none other than...

DA BEARS!

...and try to avoid a heart attack.

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger Emilia said...

Oh, I didn't realize you were moving in that last post! Congratulations!!

It is tough at first, but I'm confident that you will be adjusted and at home in no time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home