cyclonejohn

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

School of hard knocks: Graduating class of 2003

Isn't it all but inevitable that gay marriage will one day be legal either as a national law or in all fifty states? I was looking at some data regarding marriage, and it is less of a Republican vs. Democrat thing and more of an age thing. To put it quite simply, older people are opposed to gays being allowed to marry and younger people are much more tolerant. I have always said gay marriage is about #72 in the list of issues I care about. I have always taken the libertarian side believing that if you don't like gay marriage, don't have one. I reject the liberal take that gay marriage is a civil rights issue and I reject the conservative take on opposition to gay marriage as a religious issue. The bible states that the act of homosexuality is a sin. We can debate that but it seems pretty clear to me. However, just because the bible lists it is a sin does that mean that we shouldn't recognize their right to marriage? The bible is crystal clear about thievery. It is a sin. With the same logic, if two people convicted of shoplifting want to marry, should we not allow them? Gay marriage has been big news recently regarding the controversy at the Miss USA beauty pageant. I was listening to what Minnesota radio host Dan Barreiro talk about the subject and he said this: Word on the beauty pageant street is that Miss California was on her way to winning the Miss USA crown when judge Perez Hilton decides to make the event about him -- openly gay -- than about the contestants. Earlier in the day, he is so proud of himself that he already is patting himself on the back for the Question he came up with -- "Vermont recently became the fourth state to legalize same-sex marriage. Do you think every state should follow suit. Why or why not?"To which Miss California said: "Well, I think it's great that Americans are able to choose one or the other. We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage. And you know what, in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman." Hilton allegedly later suggested that her have-it-both-ways answer suggests she has "half a brain."She loses to Miss North Carolina. Here's what the Mix finds hilarious: If we're going to routinely accept the exact-same kind of double-talk-style, politically expedient answers from our politicians, why are we more offended when they came from a participant in a stupid beauty contest?" Interesting.

1. It is so hard seeing all of these former Timberwolves draft picks do well in the NBA this year. Brandon Roy, OJ Mayo, Kevin Garnett, Joe Smith, Donyell Marshall, Wally Sczcerbiak, Stephon Marbury, Chauncey Billups, and Ray Allen are all Wolves draft picks in the past decade that are no longer with the Wolves. That doesn't even include all the former Wolves we foolishly traded away. I am so happy that the owner has finally decided to hire a new GM for next year.

2. I had heard a little bit about some recent military victories by the Taliban but I had no idea how many until I was watching CNN and they had breaking news about a major Taliban victory that is less than an hour drive away from the capital of Pakistan. I don't know how they did it, but CNN even had a correspondent interview a Taliban commander who was not shy about their plans to take over control of Pakistan as well as Afghanistan. I have never been accused of being pro-war before. However, if the Taliban controls Pakistan... and their arsenal of nuclear weapons, that could be catastrophic. What the heck is going on over there? This just means more difficult decisions for President Obama. Of course, every decision the president makes is tough. If it wasn't, it would have already been made.

3. This will hopefully be my last post ever about The Hills. For those unaware, and trust me, I am far from a loyal watcher, one of the biggest dramas on the show was about a Lauren Conrad sex-tape rumor. Today, Spencer Pratt finally admitted he made the whole thing up. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30354522/. I am only posting this story because it is amazing that somebody could actually be that cruel.

4. Currently listening to "New York City Cops" by The Strokes. Album: Is this it?

3 Comments:

At 12:58 PM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

The Bible states that many things we do on a daily basis are sins. Why single out gay marriage? Simply because it is something you don't do, therefor making it different and scary? Why don't we all freak out about gluttony, and make it illegal to be fat? Maybe it's because in America, we are all fat. So it's okay to ignore that some people think its a sin.

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger cyclonejohn said...

That is my point exactly. In the end though, as I stated in the beginning, fifty years from now, we will look back and laugh at this.

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

You and I will, but just like with slavery, there will be people who look back and are ashamed of what our ancestors did.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home