cyclonejohn

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Whatever people say I am; that's what I'm not.

Long day. Today was a long day. With the big move to Chicago happening on Friday, I decided that I would begin packing and be all set to go in terms of putting things in boxes, labeling, and getting everything in order. It took almost all day and included more than one car ride to the storage unit; which is a convenient forty-five minute car ride away. It was very interesting to me going through stuff in the storage unit. For those who don't know, when I moved out of my apartment in Northeast Minneapolis, except for clothes and toiletries, I rented a u-haul and got a storage unit near where I worked. Why by where I worked? I wasn't thinking too clearly. It was very strange and fun for me to go through shirts I had not worn in a year and a half, or to look at posters I had hung up, et cetera. The most interesting part came when I literally stumbled over a box simply named Elyse. When I opened it up, I was hit by four years of memories. A letter from when I was in Cuba, a card from a hotel we stayed in, a frame picture of when we swum with dolphins in Florida, a picture that her sister drew of us, and other memories. There were literally hundreds of little notes or small tokens of love that really just made me smile. I simply picked up the box, and placed in a cabinet in my bedroom. The hope is I will forget about it so that one day in the future I can open up my cabinet and once again have a familiar smile.

1. Yesterday night Andrew and I went and saw the movie Sunshine Cleaning. It was pretty weird and had a very abrupt ending. I would give it a C+. It's not terrible but it's not particularly good either.

2. Did anyone watch the premier of much hyped new show Parks and Recreation. I thought it was okay. What I didn't like was how it was almost an exact replica of The Office with Amy Poehler replacing Steve Carrell. It is unfair to judge a show just by its pilot though and I will give it another episode or two to catch my interest.

3. We are finally seeing some life to this economy. In the month of March, the stock market grew by 0.8%. You might be thinking, "Yeah, but that is so minuscule. Who cares?" But think of what an improvement it is that instead of the market being down, it has actually risen!! This is really good news. Unfortunately, I think companies are going to need to see more than just a couple of good weeks in the market before they start hiring again.

4. I am irritated with the Timberwolves. They keep winning. They have only lost two games in April and they have now sky rocketed to only the sixth worst record in the league. Think of the difference the last few years in the NBA draft when you compare the second pick vs. the sixth pick. 2008 (Michael Beasley vs. Danila Gallinari). 2007 (Kevin Durant vs. Yi Jianlin). I don't need to go through the whole list. Don't get me wrong. I always want the Wolves to win and my favorite professional team is the Wolves. However, when you get to the point of the season where there are on six or seven games left and you clearly have no chance to make the playoffs, then I am honestly rooting for the Wolves to lose so it increases their draft potential.

5. I just watched one of the most amazing sports games of my life. The NCAA hockey national championship featuring Miami University (of Ohio) vs. Boston University. With 90 seconds left, and MU up 3 - 1, BU pulled their goalie and they scored with a minute left to make the score 3 - 2. They continue to have no goalie and with ten seconds left they tied the game. Five minutes into overtime, BU continued their amazing stretch of hockey and won the national championship. Yes, by the way, I am by myself at home on a Saturday night blogging and watching college hockey. I don't judge you...

6. Currently listening to "This is for real" by Motion City Soundtrack.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home