cyclonejohn

Tuesday, April 07, 2009

The choo-choo train left right on time. A ticket cost only your mind. The driver said, "hey man we go all the way." Of course we were willing to pay!

Today was a very unique day. I had lunch with a friend of mine from high school whom I had not seen in almost a year. Although we were very close when we were in junior high and high school, as college will do, I lost contact. I found out this friend had battled addiction to gambling, cocaine, heroin, and every other drug imaginable. He now lives in a recovery center and is well on his way to making a full recovery. The idea of drug use has always been fascinating to me. Personally, I have never been that interested in drugs but I am not here to judge anyone. I have even gone so far as to say drugs should be legalized; or at least decriminalized. I just wish all drugs were never created in the first place. They really have no place in society and so much destruction takes place as a consequence. Destruction of the mind. Destruction of families. Destruction of communities. And why? It is so unnecessary. I have always wondered what is going through someone's mind right before they shoot heroin the first time. What thoughts cross your mind the first time you snort meth? Are you so depressed that even though you know the damage it does to your body long and short term, the temporary pleasure is enough to let you take the risk? Maybe you are so confident in your mental abilities that you say addiction will not happen. You're better than the drug and you can fight addiction. Again, I know that I am completely ignorant when it comes to the reasons behind drug use. I am simply offering more questions than I have answers. Between today's lunch and watching what is happening with the Mexican drug wars that have spilled over to Texas, California, and Arizona, and watching History Channel's series on gangs, called Gangland, I am just utterly amazed at how much damage drugs have done. How many innocent lives have been robbed. I don't know if it will ever change and I think that is what saddens me the most.

1. I rented a cute movie today called Bedtime stories. It stars Adam Sandler, Keri Russel, Courtney Cox, and Russell Brand. I give it a B+. It is rated G and is silly as most Disney movies are but it has a nice, but predictable ending. It's a good date movie... or a nice move for men who are unemployed and watching it in their parent's basement while eating Tostitos, drinking warm cans of Pepsi, and wearing sweat pants. It's too bad I don't know anybody who did that!

2. Although I was casually cheering for Michigan State yesterday because I am a Big 10 Conference homer, it was hard not to be entertained and impressed by how North Carolina part by part dismantled the Spartans. Plus, although they lose Tyler Hansbrough, this Tar Heel team could be fantastic next year.

3. I was always loyal to Conan O'Brien and I think that loyalty has let me miss out on the hilarity that Craig Ferguson's show has. His bits with comedian Steven Wright are hysterical. I don't often stay up that late but in the future, I might more often.

4. A friend of mine sent me this link with Shaq's greatest quotes: http://blacksportsonline.com/index/2009/04/shaq.html. Here are some of my favorites from skimming the list:

A) "There is no answer to the Pythagorean theorem. Well, there is an answer, but by the time you figure it out, I got 40 points, 10 rebounds, and then we're planning for the parade."
B) REPORTER: You're in very good shape these days. What's your secret?
SHAQ: I was with your mother last week. She took care of me very well.
C) "It's hard being the NBA's sex symbol, but somebody has to do it."
D) "Being that I'm a tropical black man I don't get to see much snow. When I see snow I go crazy. That's why they call me Sasquatch. There's no Sasquatch found in the snow so I had to go back to my Sasquatchian roots." (Referring to starting a snowball fight with teammates at Denver's airport.)

5. Currently listening to "Across the Sea" from Weezer. Album: Pinkerton.

2 Comments:

At 6:47 AM, Blogger Jon said...

I've always wondered and worried about how he's doing. I have actually spoken with him a couple times since college, and even once on Facebook after coming to Korea, and it's good to hear he's doing better.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger cyclonejohn said...

He's doing much better but has a long way to go.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home