cyclonejohn

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

There is a teen wolf on the court!

I am part of the majority of people that finds it shocking that Memphis coach John Calipari plans on accepting the head coaching job for men's basketball at Kentucky. Kentucky is by far the hardest place to coach in the country because the expectations by its administration and fans is a final four every single year. Tubby Smith was ran off for only making the final four three times in his ten year tenure. He only won one national championship. Tubby's replacement, Billy Gillespie was fired after only two years for making the tournament once but not making it this year. Calipari is a god in Memphis. He has a brand new practice facility, a great arena, a young team that made the elite eight, and by the way, he has the #1 ranked recruiting class in the country coming next year. Yes, Kentucky would pay him an outrageous salary but he is already the second highest paid couch in the country behind UF coach Billy Donovan. The Kentucky job is not like USC or Texas in football. It is like Alabama's. Their fans remember their glory days in the past but forget the team hasn't been relevant in over a decade. The only reason I can think of leaving is he is tired of coaching in Conference USA. It's not like it has hurt his recruiting or his tournament results though. The whole thing is puzzling to me. Speaking of puzzling coaching moves, yesterday Washington State coach Tony Bennett resigned WSU to take the head coaching position at Virginia. I love Tony Bennett and I think he is one of the best young coaches in the country... and so did Indiana and LSU last year when they offered him the head coaching position. You could have coached the Hoosiers and you instead want to spend your time in small town Virginia?

1. I am probably the last to find this out, however, I was goofing around on Facebook today and I went under setting, hit the languages tab, and there are about 50 different languages available, including three different English versions (American, British, and Pirate.) Yes, I am not joking. You can change your settings to all the words are in Pirate English. I personally think that is hysterical.

2. Early reports say that Sacha Baron Cohen's new movie, Bruno, has received a NC-17 rating. To be honest, I think this is just going to make me and his other fans more anxious to see the movie. There is an article in Time magazine about Bruno where I read about its early rating. Of course it is possible they could edit it and make it only rated R. Apparently the hold up is there is a very graphic male on male scene sex scene. I just have a feeling that will not be the only controversial scene.

3. I also read today that MTV has just renewed The Real World for four more seasons. Is this really necessary. I admit it. When I was in high school, I watched The Real World but I haven't seen it in years. In case you are wondering, next year's will be Real World: Cancun.

6 Comments:

At 8:13 PM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

Oh the things Sacha will do for his work. :)

The Real World is freakishly cheap to make, and people are addicted to it. Like you.

 
At 9:10 PM, Anonymous Captain Tieds said...

The Wildcats need to do what they can to get a championship. They're just trying to feed the family. Leave them alone.

I just changed my facebook language to Pirate...thanks!

I hope they do a Real World Twin Cities some time...oh wait that wouldn't be exciting at all.

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger cyclonejohn said...

I think a Real World Twin Cities would be awesome! Naturally, I am assuming it would only last three episodes.

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger Jon said...

There is no doubt in my mind they will edit it down to an R rating. I can't think of any movies that have been widely released with an NC-17 rating ("Bad Education" comes to mind, but that was an indie film with very limited showings).

Sorry Fidler, you'll probably have to wait for the DVD to see some graphic male-on-male action.

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

Very true Jon. I believe the South Park movie had the same problem and had to go through 3 or so revisions to pass the get the R-rating.

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger Jon said...

So I'm assuming you haven't seen the trailer since you didn't mention it, but here it is:

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/bruno/international-red-band-trailer

It looks good, of course I'm trying not to get my hopes too high. Borat was always the better character in the show, and there's no way this can reach the greatness of that movie.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home