cyclonejohn

Saturday, March 14, 2009

alcoholics unanimous

It felt good to feel alive again last night. After a relatively quiet week, I ended the "work" week with a bang. After Mike and I watched Forgetting Sarah Marshall, we picked Andrew up from his house and headed downtown. Our first stop was an Irish pub called The Local. I had never been there before. The atmosphere was warm, and inviting, the crowd - in particular a group of women standing next to us - was very friendly, and the drink prices were not outrageous. However, we were definitely the youngest people there and after an hour or so we moved on, ate some Chipotle, and went to bar number two - 508. We basically just stopped in and left and headed to Bootleggers. Here is where the carousing really started and I lost count of how many beverages were consumed. We had a great time at Bootleggers but we moved on to a Fidler favorite, Sneaky Pete's where a Jag-bomb or two later, we were all feeling no pain. I don't have nights like last night very often and it felt good. I woke up dehydrated and with a headache, but no upset stomach. Once a year, my parents have a big dinner party and they invite all of their friends over. That was Saturday night and was a lot of fun. I certainly do a lot of nodding and smiling though as my parents have a lot of attorney, finance directors, and doctor friends... At least everyone is very friendly. Sunday morning was quick work-out, my sister and I watched the movie Role Models (which I give a C), watched the NCAA tournament selection, and then crashed early.

1. One of the funniest movies I ever saw was Borat. The star, Sacha Baron Cohen, just wrapped up his next movie, Bruno, and after this newspaper article, I am very excited to see it: http://www.austin360.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/austinmovies/entries/2009/03/15/bruno_special_screening.html?loc=interstitialskip

2. One thing that has always amazed me is Minnesota's obsession with hockey - in particular, high school hockey. Indiana loves high school basketball. Texas loves high school football. Minnesota loves high school hockey. At the dinner party, all of the guys were huddled around the TV watching the boys hockey tournament where Eden Prairie won state. The tournament sold out the Xcel Energy Center in minutes. Here is my one criticism of the tournament though. There are no at large bids. It only matters how you do in your section tournament. Jefferson, my high school, was ranked #1 the whole year. However, they lost in their section final game against Edina and didn't make the state tournament. Can you imagine if that happened in NCAA basketball? Let's say North Carolina was ranked #1 the whole year but lost in the ACC tournament final to Wake Forest and then they weren't even allowed in the NCAA tournament. It would be ridiculous.

3. Currently listening to Franz Ferdinand's "Take me out".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home