cyclonejohn

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

This bird has flown

As I sit here on a quiet Wednesday afternoon strumming guitar chords that moderately resemble Norwegian Wood by the Beatles, I gaze out at the window with utter disgust. The normal high for this time in Minneapolis is about 38 degrees. Today's high is nine. My math has never been good but I think that means we are 29 degrees below normal. Today's low will be -2 with a windchill of -15. In addition to it being a snowier than normal winter, it has been a colder winter. Tonight I am going to a Timberwolves game, so that should temporarily take my mind off of the weather.

1. Has anyone been following the mini-feud between Jon Stewart and CNBC's Jim Cramer. Today it was announced that Cramer will go on The Daily Show this Thursday. I'm excited. Stewart yesterday, when commenting about Cramer said, "Fuck you." Wow.

2. Today is a good day after all! Most critics agree that the movie Howard The Duck is the worst movie ever made. I have never been able to find a copy at anywhere. (Oh yes, I have looked hard and wide.) Today I received news that this George Lucas creation is coming to DVD. Please watch this preview and try to tell me you are not intrigued: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzI-ZbcK_sw. Basically, Howard is a giant mutant duck that fights crime and yes... has an infamous love making scene.

3. Wow! On the 35W and Lake Street, the city of Minneapolis building a giant billboard featuring men who have recently been arrested for picking up prostitutes. Their police photo is a public information available to anyone. Obviously this is to publicly humiliate any John out there who thinks paying for sex is a good way to spend a Friday evening (or a Tuesday morning in some cases.) I'm not going to make a big stink over this, as I am morally opposed to prostitution (despite me wanting to legalize it.) However, doesn't this fall under the "cruel and unusual" punishment category? Crimes like rape and murder are worse than this yet their pictures are not on one of the most viewed billboards in all of Minneapolis.

4. Currently listening to Alanis Morisette's "You oughta know". Album: Jagged little pill.

6 Comments:

At 5:22 PM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

would you rather it was the record low for today, which looks to be around -26 degrees?

Do you actually want to legalize it, or are you simply "not opposed" to legalizing it?

 
At 1:59 AM, Blogger Jon said...

I was ready to agree with you about the billboard, but then I read the story about it by the Star Tribune, which stated: "The electronic billboard, on I-35W just north of Lake St., does not display an actual booking mug."

Apparently it directs people to johnspics.org, where they can view the photos there. I don't think this is a big deal at all - I mean, how many people are actually going to go out of their way to see these photos.

 
At 2:05 AM, Blogger Jon said...

It's also interesting to note that of all those pictured on the site, only ONE has actually been convicted.

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

People are gullible. They will go look. And they will read about it and hear about it from their friends.

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger cyclonejohn said...

I missed the Star Tribune article and I am glad it was pointed out to me. As far as legalizing prostitution, I absolutely feel it should be legalized.

1) More tax money going to the government instead of dirty pimps and gangs. Gangs make most of their money on two things - drugs and prostitution.
2) Brothels would be set up to protect both the prostitute and the John for safety reasons. In Holland and other places where prostitution is legal, there is paperwork to fill out, and lots of security.

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger Emilia said...

Rape, assault and murder are things that many Johns are complicit in. I think we're beyond the era of public shaming, too, but far more emphasis is placed on arresting and punishing prostitutes, who as likely as not have been punished throughout their lives for being women/non-white/addicts/poor/undereducated/in a violent profession/born already. I'm pleased to hear that Minneapolis at least is cracking down on the crime of hiring prostitutes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home