cyclonejohn

Friday, March 13, 2009

I spend much of my time with decadent food and questionable people.

The Jon Stewart interview of Jim Cramer lived up to its hype. While I question why Cramer would be attracted to this Venus Fly Trap, I admired his chutzpah for agreeing to a 20+ minute interview on The Daily Show. For those who want to watch the blood bath, I would recommend going to comedycentral.com and watching last minute's episode. In some of his nicer comments, Stewart said Cramer was nothing more than an entertainer and a snake-oil salesmen. Cramer obviously is not an idiot. He is a Harvard graduate, and ran one of the most successful hedge funds in the world before starting Mad Money on CNBC. Stewart was clearly irritated because he thought that Cramer and CNBC were "in bed" with the corporations and should have done a better job of pointing out corruption and hypocrisy. Cramer was cordial and apologetic throughout the interview and I actually thought Stewart, as much as I love him, went a bit over the line with some of his comments. Stewart wants it both ways. He wants to be viewed as a serious social commentary who asks hard hitting questions and interviews authors, scientists, and politicians... and he wants to be a silly entertainer who makes fart jokes. My point is there is nothing wrong with that. Nobody is as good as Jon Stewart at being serious and silly as he is. My problem is when he then mocks people like Jim Cramer for trying to be serious and silly. I will still continue to watch The Daily Show but let's just hope this feud with Jim Cramer has stopped.

1. I don't think I have ever asked a coach of a team I cheered for to resign. I'm sure I have but none comes to mind. Today, I ask for Iowa State's head basketball coach Greg McDermett to turn in his resignation to the Department of Athletics. In his three years, ISU has not once come even close to being an NIT team. With the heavy odds that their star player leave for the NBA after two seasons, I am ready to rebuild the team with a new leader. It pains me to write that but some coaches that have a lot of success at the mid-major level cannot translate that success once they begin coaching at a power school. Dan Monson was a brilliant coach at Gonzaga university in Washington before he took over as the Gophers coach six years ago. He took Gonzaga to several NCAA tournaments and one Elite Eight. We're talking about Gonzaga. In his four years with the Gophers, the team only got to the tournament one time before losing in the first round to the Cyclones. Now Monson is back at a mid-major, Long Beach State, and he is doing quite well. Coach McDermett would do himself a favor by resigning and becoming the next head coach at a school like Indiana State, Toledo, Northern Illinois, or Idaho. It's just not working in Ames.

2. Have you ever laughed at something because it is just so absurd? I did this morning when I read that African gangs are raping Lesbians to "cure" them. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29676829/

3. Currently listening to The Rolling Stones' "You can't always get what you want". Album: Forty Licks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home