cyclonejohn

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Andy, you're a star.

A man was wandering around in the middle of nowhere and he saw a well. He indented to just take a peak inside but he slipped and fell inside. He tried to climb out on his own but he never made it very far before he slipped and fell back to the bottom. Fortunately, this man was a man of faith. He prayed to God and said, "Lord, I have tried everything. Please help me out of this well." This man knew of the gospel Matthew's famous writing, "Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you." He prayed for days and nothing happened. One day, when he he had just about given up all hope, a thunderous rain storm started to pour down on him. At first the man cried out in shame. He had prayed for a rescue and now he was going to drown to death. But that's not what happened. As the rainwater continued to fill the well, he treaded water until the well was so full, it overflowed, and flushed the man to safety. Today I celebrated Easter. Unlike Christmas, which is full of so many distractions, Easter is really the holiest Christian holiday of the year. It is the day we celebrate Jesus' Resurrection. It is always a special day for me. It is day about family, about friendship, about laughter over Easter lunch, and renewed friendship during the church service. In my story above, I represented the man who fell in the well. I might not understand how God works but I know he has a plan for me. I may be ignorant of the plan and cry out in my confusion. When I think I am being drowned, I might in fact be being rescued. It does me no good to pity myself. I let the enemy win. I can sit here and write about how much my life sucks - or the fact that I am broke, unemployed, and living with my parents. I have done that too often in the past and I will not in the future. I might not understand the plan, but I know their is a plan for all of us.

1. I wrote briefly a little bit ago about some prominent arch-bishops in the Catholic church and Notre Dame alumni who are furious that the university asked President Obama to give this May's graduation speech. These alumni are burning their sweatshirts. The bishops are openly protests. They are a bunch of phony hypocrites. Our local Twin Cities bishop even declared Obama anti-Catholic. I can assume the only reason they feel that way is because President Obama is pro-choice. However, George W. Bush gave a graduation speech a couple of years ago and no bishops had a problem with it. The Pope has been very clear on what he thinks about death penalty - it is morally reprehensible. The Pope also took a strong stance against the United States invading Iraq. These are just two examples of how President Bush went against the views of Pontiff, yet bishops were silent. Why don't they just be honest and say that they hate Obama because he is pro-choice and they think that only pro-lifers should be allowed to be in South Bend? Here is some more interesting trivia. Obama won the Catholic vote by 11%. Are these Catholics anti-Catholic? Obama won the Notre Dame student body by 11% too. Are these Catholic Notre Dame students anti-Catholic? Of course not. Fortunately, the president of Notre Dame says that Obama is still welcome to speak. I applaud him for standing up against these hypocrites.

2. Currently listening to "My Coco" by Stellastarr*.

2 Comments:

At 8:01 AM, Blogger Rus said...

"Pro-choice" is terrible, and it's precedence over issues like the war or death penalty is because it's worse than war and the death penalty.

We've all got issues that are more important than others. And while the war and death penalty run counter to the Bishop, abortion is just a more halting example of killing.

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger cyclonejohn said...

May I begin by hoping you are incorrect. Although I am by no means an expert on Christian Theology, I hope that Catholics do not place abortion as their number one issue of importance. In fact, I know they don't. As I wrote, Obama won the Catholic vote by 11%; showing that Catholics are maybe a little bit more open-minded than you and I will give them credit for. As a follow up, Rus, I remember having dozens of discussions on the ethical and moral consequences of abortion. I still reference a paper you wrote during college about the need for choice when I argue for pro-choice. I hope that you have come to be pro-life due to your own natural philisophical maturation and less because it is the view of People of Praise. It is okay for you every once in a while to have a viewpoint different from them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home