cyclonejohn

Thursday, April 16, 2009

a time to focus

Can you believe it has almost been ten years since the Columbine shooting? Like the incident at Virginia Tech, and 9/11, I certainly still remember where I was when it happened. Inner cities had been dealing with school violence for decades, but now a wealthy suburban high school was targeted. One conversation I have had with friends is how the media should handle school shootings. Let's use the example of streakers. As not to encourage this behavior, whenever someone streaks, the TV crews completely ignore him, and do not have any cameras on the streaker. They think the attention will only encourage more of that behavior. On the other hand, does the media not have an obligation to cover a story as big as children being shot while in their place of learning? Dylan and Klebold. Ten years later and I still know the names of the murderers from Columbine High. They were so tired of being made fun of, for feeling isolated, and lonely... They didn't just want to be famous, they wanted to live in infamy. Sadly, they are. Their have been movies about them, and books about their lives. A decade later we are still talking about their "masterpiece". I am not saying I have an answer for what we as citizens, or what I would encourage the media to do. Thoughts?

1. I am very opposed to Fox News but I think what regular Fox does in terms of its Sunday night programming. I am a huge Family Guy fan and I am extremely excited for its two new series coming in a few months. First, The Cleveland Show, which is a spin-off of the Family Guy. Second, Sit Down, Shut Up. SDSU is a new animated show by the creator and head writer of Arrested Development; my favorite show. SDSU will also feature the voices of AD stars Jason Bateman, Will Arnett, and Henry Winkler. The show is about a group of misft teenagers. I'm pumped.

2. Well... tomorrow is the big day. I have all of my stuff packed up and I'm ready to go. It's a weird feeling.

3. Currently listening to "Fa Fa Fa" by Guster.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home