cyclonejohn

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I'm just trying to keep what's in my safe... safe.

We all have our strengths and weaknesses when it comes to academia. Some are great at math, and others think is pointless. I can’t imagine why anybody would not find studying matrices relevant or riveting. Others find subjects like history to be boring, and pointless. One of my weaknesses in school was economics. I took one microeconomics class in college and although I desperately wanted to be a great economics mind, I just struggled. Normally, on national economics issues, I would tend to defer to the great economists in America; like Ben Bernanke or Hank Paulson. However, the idea of a 700 billion dollar bailout leaves a bad taste in my mouth. My question is where are these 700 billion dollars going to come from? I know. Our taxes will have to sky rocket. In addition, if we bail out the banking and finance industry, then do we also bailout the automobile industry when they all file for bankruptcy? What about the airline industry? I can think of another industry (cough cough the newspaper industry) which could use some government help. I just think the bailout sends a terrible precedent that we will “rescue” failing industries. That goes against the basic rules of free market capitalism. According to recent surveys, only 30% of Americans actually support a bailout. However, I think the 7 out of 10 (including me) may be incorrect. Every financial expert I have spoken to, listened to, or watched on TV have all said there will be enormous repercussions if there is not a bailout. After one day of the bailout failing, they are correct. The stock market fell almost 800 points yesterday and the world lost over one trillion dollars in one day. Even though I don’t understand it, I think I am slowly being convinced that a bailout, although a terrible option, might be our only option. Thoughts?

1. I just started Season 2 of Weeds and the show is really growing on me? It is really well written, witty, and the acting is fantastic. If you can get by the first four or five episodes where the point is just to introduce the characters, then you will love the show. It is a great way to bide my time until Season 3 of How I Met Your Mother comes out on DVD a week from today.

2. What a terrible sports weekend for me. The Vikings lose. The gophers lose. But more importantly, if you were to say to me before the season, “Okay John, Going into the final series, you will be tied with the White Sox. The White Sox will then lose two out of their next three at home, they then would have to beat Detroit in a make-up game. How would you like the circumstances to be?” I would answer. I would want to play the Kansas City Royals at home. Wish granted! Unfortunately, both the Twins and White Sox are begging not to make the play-offs and the Twins could only win one game at home against the lowly Royals. Tonight, the Twins fly to the Windy City to face the Sox in a one-game playoff at U.S. Cellular Field. The Twins have no excuses if they lose this.

3. In terrible news of the day. Actor Michael Cera has says there will not be an Arrested Development movie. I am extremely disappointed. If you want to read the whole article: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Michael-Cera-Says-No-Arrested-Development-Movie-10363.html?loc=interstitialskip

4. What were everybody’s thoughts on the debates on Friday night? I actually thought both candidates did very well. Both sides articulately laid out their visions for the future. I only watched the first hour but I would call this debate a tie. However, I think when it comes to a foreign policy debate, a tie is actually a victory for Senator Obama as this is the debate that McCain was supposed to do well. Some critics think that debates are not important. They are incorrect. 53 million Americans watched the debate last week. To put it in perspective, the next closest was Monday night football at about 13 million. I am eagerly awaiting the Vice Presidential Debate this Thursday. However, in this debate, Biden has little to gain, but much to lose. All eyes will be on Sarah Palin.

2 Comments:

At 11:19 AM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

I'm not sure what you are talking about John. I distinctly remember you being horrible at Psychology also. Psych 101 to be exact. Terrible.

Damn you Cera!

I agree that it was a tie. I don't like being in a tie. Also agree that Biden has a lot to lose, but Palin has been ripped apart by the media (rightfully so). I predict she will BOMB in the debates.

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Mike said...

The Twins just lost. :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home