cyclonejohn

Monday, September 15, 2008

Revenge of the Squawkeyes

This weekend sucked. It rained the whole weekend. I went to the Vikings game, which was fun, but then they lost on a game winning field goal. The Twins lost and the White Sox won. The Packers won. And to cap it off, I sat a sports bar on Saturday at a University of Iowa alumni association event as the U of I Hawkeyes beat my beloved cyclones 17 – 5. Naturally, I am looking forward to spending my Monday night in Eau Claire, Wisconsin where no doubt all of my Vikings trash talking will be meant with the sort of taunts, only my Wisconsin brothers and sisters can dish.

FYI…
Countdown to the first presidential debate: 11 daysCountdown to the vice presidential debate: 19 daysCountdown to the second presidential debate 22 daysCountdown to the third presidential debate: 30 daysCountdown to Election Day 2008: 50 daysCountdown to Inauguration Day 2009: 127 days

John McCain continues to do better and better in the polls. Even in progressive states like Minnesota, according to Sunday’s Star Tribune, McCain and Obama are tied at 42/42 with 15% of Minnesotans undecided. The major difference across the country… White women — last month Obama led by eight points. Now he trails by 12 points. It’s that simple. A Democrat will not get elected president unless he has a majority of the women vote.

1. I’m not going to lie. I watched a lot of television this past weekend. Not just sports, but movies, and TV shows. I think the highlight was the SNL opening skit with Amy Poehler and Tina Fey as Hillary Clinton and Sarah Palin. It was clever and witty and it really cheered me up. Speaking of Fey and Poehler, Elyse and I watched their movie Baby Mama. I give it a B+. Steve Martin has a small, but hilarious, role as a hippie health store owner. I also rented the movie, What Happens in Vegas with Ashton Kutcher and Cameron Diaz. I give it a B. It’s a decent rental. Not bad but not great. It was fine on a rainy Friday night. Also, I tried to get into the TV show Dexter. Dexter is a drama on Showtime about a forensic scientist/sociopathic murderer. It is by far the most gruesome, disgusting show on TV. Unfortunately, it was also entertaining and interesting. This frustrates me because even though I don’t plan on watching another episode, if the show were on network TV and they just removed all of the gore, it would be awesome. You can show someone getting stabbed or shot and know that they die and I’m fine. However, I don’t need to be graphically shown a man chopping up a person alive with a chain saw. I don’t even know how they filmed that! I did finish up season four of The Office. It is just as funny as it has always been.

2. The new Facebook sucks! Before, you had the option of keeping your old Facebook if you wanted to, or switching to Facebook 2.0. Apparently, now, we all have to use the new Facebook. I’m just about hit my boredom peak with FB. http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2008-09-10-facebook-facelift_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip

3 Comments:

At 11:07 AM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

HIMYM Season 4 starts tonight!

Seriously, I'm sick and tired of people bitching about the new Facebook! Especially when they don't give legitimate reason. I think the new FB is exactly what was needed for FB to have a chance of reigning social-network king. The apps were out of control, the pages looked like crap, and they weren't even web 2.0 compliant. If you are too lazy to take the 5 minutes it takes to familiarize yourself with the new site then I don't want to hear about it.

 
At 1:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Fidler, how can you let your weak stomach keep you from watching such an amazing show. The finale of the first season is well worth it.

Actually, when Dexter did so well after the second season, the first season aired on CBS. You should try to track down these edited versions and/or watch it on CBS.

Love,
Your secret admirer

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger cyclonejohn said...

To Anonymous 1:07 am,

I did really like Dexter. I thought it was extremely well written. But the gore is just too much.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home