cyclonejohn

Monday, August 25, 2008

Dead Moines no more!

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend. Last Thursday, I went to the Minnesota State Fair. As usual, I over-ate. I had French fries, corn on the cob, funnel cakes, grilled chocolate sandwiches, cheese curds, and elk meat. I had never had elk and every time at the fair, I try to try something new. The Fair was a lot of fun this year and it is still going through Labor Day if anybody wants to go again. Thursday night, for work, I headed down to Destination Iowa State. DIS is a welcome fair for incoming freshmen and transfer students to let them know all about ISU. I got a little nostalgic thinking about my time as a scrawny 17 year old meandering around a giant campus and taking it all in. After that, I walked around campus a bit. The campus has changed a lot since I graduated; all the changes are for the better. The Hub looks fantastic. The bookstore has a major improvement. Maple Willow Larch Commons is going to be awesome. Of course, who couldn’t notice the huge changes to Jack Trice Stadium? I came away very impressed. After that, I headed to West Des Moines and stayed with the Robbins and his girl. They have a beautiful apartment and the area they live in actually seems really cool. Des Moines used to have a nick name, Dead Moines. No longer is that name apt. Des Moines has spent hundreds of millions of dollars on the city and it is beginning to show. They have great shopping, cool restaurants, and a legitimate nightlife. On Friday, I drove back and was planning on having dinner with Elyse but when I opened the door, about a dozen people yelled “surprise”! To say I was surprised would be an understatement. The color drained away from my face and I felt like I flew backwards about twenty yards. After a good laugh, and some hugs, I was ready for the party to begin. Thank you very much to everyone who came. I had a great time. Friday evening/Saturday morning began with the announcement that Obama picked Joe Biden to be his running mate. I don’t love it and I don’t hate it. His positives include several yings to Obama’s Yangs. Biden is a Catholic; Obama is a Protestant. Biden is white; Obama is black. Biden is a seasoned senator at 65 who has served the people of Delaware in congress for over three decades. Obama is young at 46 and has been a senator for less the one full term. Joe Biden grew up on the East Coast in Pennsylvania, went to school in New York and Delaware, and now resides in Delaware. Obama grew up in Hawaii, and now lives in the Midwest. Plus, Biden is a feisty attack dog. The negatives are he represents a small state that is not a battleground state. In addition, Biden is not that well known but has a reputation for several verbal gaffes and is not a terrific speaker or debater. Again, I’m neutral on the pick. It looks like McCain will announce his running mate next Friday or Saturday and all the pundits say it will be one of three people, Minnesota governor Tim Pawlenty, Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney, or former Secretary of State/Defense Tom Ridge. They all have major plusses and minuses. I will wait to do my analysis until McCain picks his choice. The rest of the weekend was fun too. I went to a Vikings game on Saturday night. I had a wonderful lunch at the new Bloomington Chop House and watched a random, but funny movie, Harold and Kumar: Escape from Guantanamo Bay. All in all it was a fantastic birthday weekend.

1. I would like to know what takes TV shows so long to get on DVD. Season Four of the Office doesn’t come out until September 2nd. That is like four months after the season finale. Season Three of How I Met Your Mother Doesn’t come out until Mid-October. That’s five months after the show ended. What on earth takes them that long? This is on my mind because Season Four of Entourage comes out on DVD today. Again, like four months after the show ended.

2. The College football season begins this Thursday. Guess who plays on opening night? The might Jackrabbits of South Dakota State come to might Jack Trice Stadium to get devoured by the Cyclones of Iowa State. My final score prediction is 27 – 10 ISU wins by 17!

3. How much of the Democratic and Republic conventions are you going to watch? I’m unsure right now. Some things will be interesting but even as political rube like me doesn’t want to watch two hours of Barack Obama’s sister, and Joe Biden’s wife talking. I think I will actually end up watching a lot more then I think. I am heading up to North Dakota tomorrow and I have a feeling it will be me alone in the Holiday Inn Express, eating a Quizno’s, while watching MSNBC’s analysis on how Hillary’s voters are thinking.

4. The Olympic ceremonies ended yesterday. This was, in my opinion, the best Olympics I have ever seen. Michael Phelps sets the all time medal record while breaking seven world records. Usain Bolt breaks the 100 meter and 200 meter world record finals easily. Team USA wins the gold medal back in Men’s basketball. And there was controversy and guts on display during gymnastics. It was a great two weeks and Beijing, you should be proud. London in 2012 has a lot of work to match these games.

5. I love it! Finally, a reality show on MTV I actually want to watch. Here is a sneak peak of Exiled. They take eight former Sweet 16 stuck up bitches girls and sends them to Africa and India to see how people who did not grow up with a silver spoon live. I am legitimately very intrigued at this tough love approach. When you have five minutes, watch this preview: http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?id=1587340&vid=232356

1 Comments:

At 6:56 AM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

Make that "eating TWO Quizno's" and you have a normal Fidler night.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home