cyclonejohn

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Hissy fits!

I know I am in the minority but I have been glued to my TV set the past few days watching the Democratic National Convention (DNC). Some of my co-workers are there and they already have some great stories like giving Sam Donaldson directions and posing for pictures with Anderson Cooper and Wolf Blitzer. There even was an Oprah sighting. Throughout the DNC, I have been very pleased with some aspects, and disappointed with others. I thought Michelle Obama gave a terrific speech. She clearly showed that she would be a capable first lady and would bring many positive attributes to the White House. I thought Brian Schweitzer gave a fantastic, fiery, passionate, indictment on John McCain that got me all fired up. Schweitzer is the Governor of Montana. Other speakers though, like keynote speaker, Mark Warner were terrible. I thought Bill Clinton and Joe Biden did a nice job but by far the speech of the week has to go to Hillary Clinton. She gave one of the most memorable speeches in my lifetime. She was strong, articulate, honest, and powerful. I will be anxious to watch Obama give his speech today. Let me also admit that I was wrong about Joe Biden. After reading more about his story of growing up poor in Scranton, PA, working his way through the University of Delaware and then Syracuse Law School before being elected senator at 29, I came away very impressed. He was a fireball of emotion last night although I felt he did speak a little bit long. I also really liked his work he has done on foreign relations and being a champion for women’s causes long before it became popular to do so. What did you all think?

1. I rented season one of Mad Men yesterday. After only watching one episode, I am neutral. I think right now the point is just to introduce us to the characters, the time period, and the theme of the show. It has won several awards and some of my co-workers are addicted. I will keep watching. I just got the Blockbuster All Access Card and there are so many TV shows that people say are really good that I have not seen one episode of. They include: Dexter, Weeds, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Deadwood, The Sopranos, Lost, 24, Heroes, et cetera. I am trying to save money so spending $20 a month seems reasonable.

2. While watching the DNC coverage, one thing that has really bothered me is the stubborn behavior by Hillary Clinton supporters despite Hillary basically begging them to vote for Obama. 40% of people who voted for Clinton in the primary will now either vote for McCain or not vote at all. CNN has had several interviews with delegates wanting to punish the Democrats, or punish Obama. This infuriates me and this exactly why I did not want a long primary season. People are too scarred. In 2004, I was a die hard Howard Dean supporter. I was really disappointed when John Kerry got the nomination instead of Dean. However, instead of being petulant, I looked at Bush’s record, and I looked at John Kerry, and I said I agree a whole heck of a lot more with Kerry then Bush, so I volunteered my time, donated money, and voted for John F. Kerry for president. This is why I think John McCain might make a brilliant move if he picks a woman, like Kay Hutchinson, former governor of Texas, or another woman as his running mate. I truly believe that Barack Obama cannot win the election unless those who voted for Hillary Clinton, now support him. I am not upset at Hillary Clinton. She wanted to be president and did all she could. After it was clear she was going to lose the nomination, she graciously dropped out, and has wholeheartedly supported Senator Obama. It is time for her supporters to stop their hissy fits and to start supporting Obama. No way, No How, No McCain!

3. The college football season starts tonight. I can’t wait to watch the Cyclones destroy South Dakota State tonight!

4 Comments:

At 12:35 PM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

I've seen numerous polls that said that a small percent of people said they wouldn't vote for Obama/Clinton simply because they were Black/a woman. I'm guessing that the majority of them lean to the right. So McCain needs to be careful if he chooses a woman as his running mate. If he did, it could become a very interesting election.

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Emilia said...

I really don't believe the 40% statistic. That seems so unlikely to me. I think there is a small number of pissed off sore losers, and I think it's sensational so the media is giving it a lot of attention, but I don't think that many people will end up voting for McCain in the end. Those who will are truly awful people who don't deserve to vote, because they clearly don't understand the import of that responsibility. But I think and desperately hope that when it comes right down to it, Clinton supporters will have more sense than that.

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Emilia said...

I really don't believe the 40% statistic. That seems so unlikely to me. I think there is a small number of pissed off sore losers, and I think it's sensational so the media is giving it a lot of attention, but I don't think that many people will end up voting for McCain in the end. Those who will are truly awful people who don't deserve to vote, because they clearly don't understand the import of that responsibility. But I think and desperately hope that when it comes right down to it, Clinton supporters will have more sense than that.

 
At 1:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Save your $20 and just watch all the TV you want - for FREE - on the internet, at surfthechannel.com.

Screw Blockbuster.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home