cyclonejohn

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I fly like paper and get high like planes.

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. It is good to be back in the less than glorious November weather in Saint Paul, Minnesota. How was everybody's weekend? I had a really nice, fun weekend. Friday night, I went out with a local celebrity, Cool Tieds, to a bar in downtown Minneapolis called Sneaky Pete's. I loved it. I don't know how to describe it. It's not a dive bar, it's not a lounge, it's not a "classy" bar but it isn't a shady bar either. It's a lot like Bootlegger's or 508 in Minneapolis. LOTS of beautiful people were out, which made the evening enjoyable. It was myself and half a dozen of Mike's friends from college and high school. I didn't know anybody but the crowd was very welcoming and I was out until about 2:00. Saturday was pretty chill. My Dad and I went to the Gopher football game against Michigan and then I went home and watched the Iowa State collapse against Colorado. I was pretty tired Saturday and I elected just to watch a movie and relax. I wanted to rent the movie Kung Fu Panda but no such luck. Instead, I rented the first disc of the HBO mini-series, John Adams. I love it so far!!!! It is based on the David McCullough biography of our second president. As a history buff, I have learned a lot and I have been extremely impressed with Paul Giamatti's ability to play President Adams. The mini series is fairly long - I think it is eight 90 minute episodes but really good so far. I have seen the first three episodes.

1. Please go to a gas station and buy the latest Newsweek with Obama on the cover. I read the whole magazine cover to cover. It had great behind the scenes looks at the Obama and McCain strategy teams. It is about 100 pages but I breezed through it.

2. As I have written about, probably the best movie I saw in 2008 was the British comedy Death at a Funeral. I was excited to read at http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i2a6531019c4147a655297098ee9dc115
that Chris Rock is planning on making an American version of the movie. I don't know what I am looking forward to most in 2009? The new Iron Man movie? The Cleveland Show on Fox? The new Harry Potter movie? Or this.

3. Currently listening to M.I.A. "Paper Planes" from the album: Kala.

7 Comments:

At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. John Adams was a cool dude, not as cool as Samuel Adams, but Samuel Jackson is clearly the best of the three http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=11903&title=samuel-l.-jackson-beer

2. Death at a Funeral was a good movie...but there is no way it could ever touch Dark Knight.

3. Glad you had fun on Friday. From what I remember I had fun too. Thanks for coming out.

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

I was about to make a very strong point, but it looks like mike beat me. Dark Knight rules all!

btw, I own Death at a Funeral now, if you ever want to borrow it.

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

You need to get out less and watch fewer seasons of TV shows.

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger cyclonejohn said...

The dark knight comes out December 10th. I will be ready. As for getting out Andrew, I spent the whole first part of this post talking about staying out really late Friday night downtown. How many times a week do I need to get out? Saturday, I had already gone out to watch the gopher football game.

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

You are right John. I was merely suggesting going out as an alternative to watching endless DVDs of TV shows, mostly because at this rate you wont have any shows left to watch over Xmas break. When it's too cold to go outside. ;)

 
At 3:17 AM, Blogger Jon said...

If history has taught us anything, it's that remaking British shows/movies has never yielded a superior product (yes I know the Office is a wild hit...but where the UK version used subtle, dry humor to perfection, the US version relies too heavily on obvious and immature jokes). Also, why remake something that just came out?! Please explain this trend to me. I mean, come on Fidler... could you honestly tell me you'd be excited if they were remaking, say, Arrested Development? If something is already enjoyable, why look forward to a remake of it? It will only leave you disappointed.

Also, The Dark Knight is amazing.

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger cyclonejohn said...

Jon, I think you are correct about remakes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home