cyclonejohn

Friday, November 14, 2008

I'm shoo shoo shakin

Excuse me for being a radical conservative on this, but the government has gotten way too big and it is destroying America. I don't mean to be sarcastic, when it comes to the nation's finances, I am just sickened. I took a fairly moderate stance on the 700 billion dollar bail-out of the banking institutions. I basically plead ignorance. I have often said that one of my weakest subjects in school was economics and if all the great American economists say we needed to bail-out the banks then I guess we did. But we must stop there and not bail-out any other industries. We are completely screwing with the American economic system. Specifically I am talking about the automobile big three (Chrysler, Ford, General Motors) asking the government 50 billion dollars in bail-out money. To the proponents of this plan, I would ask them... Where does the government get that money? You and me. Our taxes would have to be raised. I do not want my taxes to be raised to pay for the mismanagement of the auto companies. The majority of the bailout money would go toward the health and retirement costs of former workers. I am normally a fan of unions but the United AutoWorkers Union has absolutely bankrupted the auto industry. 10 years ago General Motors stock was at about $80 a share. Today it is at $3.00 a share. 10 years ago Ford stock was at about $40 a share. Today it is at $2.00 a share. There is no doubt about it; the automobile industry will be bankrupt in America in a few months unless the government comes in and bails them out. I say good riddance. Through America's history, we have had lots of industries come and go and be replaced by stronger and better companies. It's not like people would stop buying cars. We would instead be buying more Hondas, and Toyotas and less Fords and Chryslers. I just think this sets a terrible precedent if the government just bails out any failing industry that has screwed themselves so badly that they are desperate. If I were Obama, I would offer a deal that looks like this. "Okay American auto companies, we will give you the money but only if you agree to it on our terms. No longer will you make hummers, or other gas guzzlers. Instead, you will take your enormously overpaid union workers and put them to work doing research on, designing, and building fuel efficient hybrid and electric cars. " That way Obama wins by saving jobs, and allowing the auto industry to not file for bankruptcy, plus he wins in the minds of people like me. I will say to myself, "Well, I am not thrilled with my taxes being raised but at least I know that it will be for the good of mankind." Thoughts?

1. Yesterday I was flipping stations on the radio and I came across WLTE's, 102.9 "The Lite" in Minneapolis. Normally, they wait until the day after Thanksgiving to begin playing Christmas music. To my surprise, apparently the Pilgrims wanted to celebrate our Lord's birth a bit early this year, because the sweet sounds of Perry Como and Bing Crosby sing their Christmas classics. This means one thing ladies and gentlemen... I may, without any sense of guilt, go through my Christmas CD box in the basement and get my Jackson 5 Christmas CD. Heaven.

2. I got a bit nostalgic after reading that MTV's TRL is being cancelled. Even though I have not seen the show in probably eight years, I do remember my days as an 8th grader, getting home, turning on the TV, and say to myself if Carson Daly can date this beautiful women, then I should be able to as well. I mean c'mon... Carson Daly?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home