cyclonejohn

Sunday, May 10, 2009

"I think this might be a gay bar. The bartenders are no longer wearing shirts."

It has been a very unique, fun, and entertaining couple of days since I last blogged. Thursday night, I got a call from my friend Sarah, her friend Allie, and later on, Mr. Winstead, were going to go out for a late dinner and drinks later. I wasn't doing a lot so I decided to join them. They were at Allie's place which is very near me... and in Boystown (please see earlier posts for what Boystown is). Allie, Sarah, and I are actually all from Minnesota and kind of unsure of what the nearby restaurants and bars were. We first went to a place called Nookies and ate some good food. We decided we would just walk around and find a good bar to hang out. We walked by this place called Spin. We peaked inside and saw a young crowd of attractive men and women mingling and dancing and decided this place looked like a good place to chill. Everybody there was extremely nice and friendly. As the night progressed, things became just a bit unusual. Instead of typical dance music like electronica or hip-hop, there was a wide variety including Wham, Michael Jackson, and Aretha Franklin. At this point, and several free shots later, we were all buzzing a bit. It was right about now when I noticed things like the bartenders were no longer wearing shirts. We then figured out pretty quickly that this was a gay bar. What I found most unusual was how many women were there. I don't think they were lesbians, I think like us, they just thought the atmosphere was cool and everybody was really friendly. After about nine shots, lots of hugs, a kiss on the cheek from a random man, and lots of dancing with Sarah and Allie, we decided to call it a night. That was my first gay bar experience and it went a lot better than I imagined. Everybody was fun, warm, and accepting.

1. The Spin Adventure was on Thursday night. Friday morning I was not feeling well. I slept a lot, took a long walk by Lake Michigan, and relaxed for the day. I told my roommates Ann and Nimit that I wanted to do something low key; which we did. Their high school friends Evan and Claire are getting married and we hosted them Friday night. We ordered pizza, watched the Cubs game, and then a bunch of us had a fun time at a nearby German bar. I drank Diet Pepsis.

2 . Saturday morning, the whole Barrington crew went over for brunch at a nearby restaurant that they partially rented out called Harry Carey's. We were there for Evan and Claire's engagement party. The food was good, the laughs were plentiful, and everyone had a good time. By Saturday night I was exhausted so I just relaxed. A friend came over and we watched Arrested Development, listened to Jack Johnson, and drank wine.

3. Sunday morning I got a nice call from Anay with an invitation to join his Mom and Sister for pizza and then walk around Navy Pier. I enjoy food and I had never seen Navy Pier so I was excited. Lunch at Pizza Capri was excellent and Navy Pier was a lot of fun. We had ice cream, watched all the boats, briefly shopped, had some laughs, and I had a blast.

4. Currently listening to "Miss Misery" by Elliot Smith. Album: Good Will Hunting Soundtrack.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home