cyclonejohn

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

I miss summer but I welcome Pumpkin Spice Lattes with open arms

I just read an interesting book by John Grisham called The Chamber. The fictional novel is about a lawyer who defends his Grandfather - who is on Death Row for a bombing 23 years earlier during the civil rights area. The book takes place in small town Mississippi and at the infamous Parchman Prison in Mississippi. Grisham, once again captures the passion of a particular issue - capital punishment. The issue of capital punishment is something that challenges me as a man, a Christian, and a citizen of this earth. Just recently my roommates engaged in fierce conversation. One roommate is vehemently opposed; the other is a supporter. I do find myself open to both sides of the argument but in general, would cast my vote to opposition of capital punishment for a few reasons: 1, there are too many cases of DNA evidence overturning a wrongful conviction. 2, the morality behind it doesn't add up. Two wrongs do not make a right. I kill you. The government kills me. Everybody wins? Nope. 3, it is more expensive. Although it costs tens of thousands of dollars a year to keep a prisoner alive, it actually costs more to terminate his life (when you take into account public attorney, court time, judge fees, the actual execution, et cetera). I do pity those judges and juries that have to decide if someone should be executed or not. I also feel for the governors of those states with capital punishment who have to deal with whether to offer clemency to someone on death row. It is such a sensitive topic. I guess I feel a life spent in a 6 x 8 cell for 23 hours a day would be worse than lethal injection. On the other hand I am human. I know if someone did something terrible to a loved one of mind, I would demand their blood. This is another reason why I could never be a judge.

1. Iowa State has suspended three football players for possession of marijuana. This really irritates me. Here these athletes get free tuition, free apartments, free books. In a city like Ames, the football players are treated like kings. They have women throw themselves at them (I have witnessed this many times), and have great lives. What are they asked for? Go to class and get at least a 2.0 gpa. Don't get arrested. It is just amazing how many of these idiots cannot handle these two simple rules. ISU has been pretty fortunate lately in that these are the first players suspended in a while. In Iowa City, the Hawkeyes have had around twenty players suspended in the past year or so. No, I don't think these three morons should be kicked off the team for simple possession of weed. I do think though this is their last strike and one more fuck-up and they should be booted.

2. Speaking of football, an Oregon football fan was upset with the way that his team played in a loss a few weeks ago at Boise State. So, he printed up a fake invoice and sent the bill to Chip Kelly, Oregon's head football coach. The invoice was for gas, hotel, food, et cetera. He complained of bad service. Instead of ripping it up, Kelly sent the man a check for $439 and reimbursed him!! http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2009/09/21/chip-kelly-is-a-man-of-his-word-seriously/

3. What did everyone think of The Office season premiere. I thought it was funny. This is a make or break year for the series. Last year was mediocre. If they don't pick it up this year, it will be its last. No doubt about that. However, both the premiers of Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother were excellent. In terms of new shows, the two highlights were Glee and Community. Both have potential to be fantastic.

4. I watched the Barack Obama appearance on David Letterman last night. I thought it was great. It was light, and fun. Letterman was at the top of his game; and Obama came off as charming as ever. Obama could use a little PR. Booking himself on The Late Show was a smart move.

5. Currently listening to "Under Pressure" by Queen and David Bowie

1 Comments:

At 7:01 PM, Blogger Koo4You said...

I patiently await the Thursday premiere of "Flashfoward"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home