cyclonejohn

Monday, September 21, 2009

I try to look like Grace Kelly but all her looks were too sad.

Apparently President Obama read my latest blog entry and is critical of it. In a recent interview with the Ohio newspaper, The Toledo Blade, Obama said that he is not in favor of mass protests. He is of course referring to the enormous protest that is being held outside the G20 summit - which this year will be in Pittsburgh. Said Obama: "I was always a big believer in -- when I was doing organizing before I went to law school -- that focusing on concrete, local, immediate issues that have an impact on people's lives is what really makes a difference and that having protests about abstractions [such] as global capitalism or something, generally, is not really going to make much of a difference." I see his point but I disagree. Did Dr. King not make a difference with his "I have a dream" speech about breaking down racial barriers? Did JFK's inaugural speech about self-sacrifice did not spark tens of thousands into action? I have always loved anthropologist Margaret Mead's quote that says, "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." But protests large and small make a difference. Ask President Johnson or Nixon if large Vietnam protests made a difference? I would have expected of all people, a former community organizer, would understand the importance of public protest.

1. I saw a couple of movies this weekend. The Clive Owens/Julie Roberts movie is okay at best. I give it a C. However, I really liked the Ben Affleck, Russell Crowe, Rachel McAdams drama State of Play. I give it an A-/B+. It was well acted, smart, and interesting.

2. The highlight of this weekend was definitely Friday night. To celebrate Anay's birthday, a group of us went to a trendy restaurant called Hub 51 (where we dined next to Chicago Bears Jay Cutler and Greg Olson). Hub 51 is probably my favorite Chicago restaurant. I had a great Ahi Tuna and the best Carrot Cake of my life. I gorged but nothing like Nimit... who felt the need to order TWO brownie desserts. After dinner, I headed over to Allie's party for some tequila shots with Winstead, and some wicked games of beer pong.

3. I missed the Emmy's last night but I heard they were really entertaining. Confirm or deny?

4. Currently listening to "If you want to sing out" by Cat Stevens

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home