cyclonejohn

Monday, August 24, 2009

Golden Birthday

24 on the 24th. Statistically, I should be in my athletic peak. I feel pretty good. I would be feeling better if I didn't begin my birthday by having multiple Egg McMuffins and Caribou Coffee. I'm a little tired because I stayed up late with a half dozen people to see the late showing of Inglorious Bastards. I give it an A-/B+. I really liked it. The movie is completely historically inaccurate. However, it is really bad-ass, funny, well acted, and well written. Like most Tarentino movies, it is quite violent; but not any more than his other films.

1. During the previews for the movie, I saw the preview for the Megan Fox horror film, Jennifer's Body? Am I the only one who would be happier never seeing or hearing from Fox ever again? Yes, I realize she is attractive. In Los Angelas, there are beautiful actresses everywhere. If you're a director, why not hire one who is not an airhead? She is obsessed with herself and her sexuality. She has hideous tattoos? I believe The Onion comedic writer, Amelie Gillette, said it best when she wrote that Fox's Marilyn Monroe tattoo on her forearm is so blurry, that "it looks like she pressed Silly Putty to a newspaper photo, then took it to a tattoo parlor and said, 'I want this on me.'". Or, how about my favorite Megan Fox quote, "If you eat Mexican food, your farts come out like Mexican food. And milk, it's like you can smell the warmth in the fat. My wardrobe on Transformers always smells like fats, and I have no idea why." Stay classy San Diego!

2. There is no doubt if I am still living in Chicago next year that I need to go see Lollapalooza. The music festival was here two weeks ago. Look at these bands that came: The Killers, Depeche Mode, Tool, Jane's Addiction, Kings of Leon, Vampire Weekend, Lou Reed, The Decemberists, Neko Case, Arctic Monkeys, Snoop Dogg, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, TV on the Radio, Rise Against, Cold War Kids, Thievery Corporation, Andrew Bird, and more!! What a great line-up.

3. My league had my first initial fantasy football draft. I am so/so on my team.

QB - Peyton Manning, Kyle Orton
RB - Steven Jackson, Frank Gore, Ryan Grant, Joseph Addai, Shonn Green
WR - Marques Colston, Kevin Walter, Dominique Hixon, Percy Harvin
TE - Zach Miller, Dustin Keller
D - NY Giants
Head Coach - Steelers
K - Jason Elam

4. It is a joke that ESPN says Derek Jeter should win the AL MVP award. C'mon! Joe Mauer is better defensively, has a higher batting average, more RBIs, more home runs, a higher slugging percentage. The MVP is not a lifetime achievement award, nor is it the award for the best player on the best team. If Jeter gets the award over Mauer, MLB should be ashamed of themselves.

5. I bought a Chicago Tribune today. I was disappointed to read that robberies and muggings are way up this year. Just last week a gentlemen was robbed on North Wilton Avenue... oh yeah, that is the street I live on! There have been 17,000 reported robberies in just the past 12 months according to the Tribune. It is stories like these that make me less interested in continuing to live in Chicago proper. Maybe moving to a first ring suburb like Evanston, or at least a safer area of Chicago like Edison Park would be better.

1 Comments:

At 6:16 PM, Blogger Jon said...

I'm shocked. I'm in shock. Not only did you see a Tarantine movie, you give it a really good score?? Somehow I thought you would dismiss anything he does because of the violence. Anyways, I'm even more excited to see it now.

Also...Lollapalooza is a freaking ripoff. I highly recommend going to Pitchfork festival instead. It's like a fraction of the cost ($50?) for three days of equally great (or better) bands.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home