cyclonejohn

Monday, August 10, 2009

Our time together was too transitory

Another whirlwind weekend is complete. My good friend Mike made his second trip to Chicago of the summer on Wednesday. What a great long weekend. Thursday night we went to a local improv club, The Playground. The show was good. Afterward, we met some friends at Hye Bar and relaxed the rest of the evening. Friday was a new experience for us. Mike and I walked around for a while before eventually helping a friend wedding dress shop. I had no idea how expensive wedding dresses are. We saw dresses that went up to 10k!! It is absurd how expensive weddings are. After a nice dinner at The Counter, we did a little bar hopping before calling it a night. Saturday, the boys and I went downtown to do a little shopping. I cannot believe how old and uncool I felt. We were going into the shops on Michigan Avenue and I clearly had no idea what any of these styles, or brands were. H&M? Famous Stars and Stripes? Ed Hardy? Forever 21? I have never even heard of these places. I will go ahead and stick with my jeans and Gopher t-shirts thank you very much. Saturday night, Nimit, Mike, and I went to one of Chicago's more famous comedy clubs, i.O. It was amazingly funny!! I will definitely be going there. Sunday was so hot we didn't spend much time outside. Mike and I walked around Chinatown. It is much smaller than the Chinatown's I have seen in Vancouver, New York, or San Francisco.

1. http://www.newsweek.com/id/204300/page/1. Embarrassingly I have only read two of the 50 books Newsweek says all Americans should/need to read. I have read Frankenstein and John Lewis' autobiography.

2. Finally the Minnesota Timberwolves have hired a new coach. Former Bad Boy Kurt Rambis. Although he has never been a head coach, when he was a player, he was always the rough, bad ass type of player. I hope he can teach that toughness to the Timberpups.

4 Comments:

At 1:49 PM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

Actually, I've only NOT heard of Ed Hardy. Famous Stars and Straps is the clothing line that Travis Barker (Blink182) started. It's been around for 10 years I think. I only know about the rest because of various lady-friends, but I'm still surprised you've never heard of them. They all have shops at your old stomping grounds (MOA).

I bet you still buy your jeans at Sears.

 
At 3:08 PM, Anonymous Michael Taylor said...

1. I don't think H&M would be out of your comfort zone; I get stuff there all the time without feeling like a tool. It's a European brand, the benefit of which is that there aren't many obese Europeans, so the sizes shown on the tags actually reflect the true sizes of the clothes. The only downside is that H&M doesn't have an American website (yet), so you can't order stuff online.

2. You're doing better than I am; I've only read one book on the Newsweek list ("Things Fall Apart").

3. However bad-ass of a player Kurt Rambis used to be, it's difficult for me to think of him as anything other than quite possibly the ugliest man ever to have played in the NBA. He's cleaned himself up significantly over the last 20 years, but back in the day?? Dear lord. Take Exhibit A, for example:

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0902/lakers.historical.photos/images/kurt-rambis.jpg

Other all-stars on my ever-evolving list of NBA fugglies include Sam Cassell (a perennial favorite), Gheorghe Muresan, Adam Morrison, Joakim Noah, and Robert Swift.

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger cyclonejohn said...

Mike, how could you leave off Duke star Sheldon Williams on your list of NBA fugglies?!

 
At 11:53 PM, Anonymous Michael Taylor said...

Because he is married to Candace Parker, who is HOT! Somehow that automatically moves him up a couple notches in my book...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home