cyclonejohn

Friday, July 17, 2009

Driving into the sun

Thursday was a good night. Two of the world's famous musicians, Billy Joel and Elton John, are touring in the country. I really wanted to go but I had seen them both before live; and the tickets were outrageously expensive. Instead, some friends and I pulled up some chairs relatively near the field and were able to listen to the concert. Obviously we couldn't see anything but I could hear every word to Piano Man and Candle in the Wind perfectly. Friday night was pretty chill. I went over to Evanston for a while, cooked some enchiladas, played some trivial pursuit, and went to bed early. Saturday was a busy day. I began the evening by completely embarrassing myself on the basketball court. Koo, Anay, and Nim and I had not played together in quite some time and our rust showed. I assured them at all that this is the worst they would ever see me play and next time will be much better. After the game, Sarah and I saw the Harry Potter movie. I really liked it and give it an A-. The acting abilities of the child actors has improved immensely. The performance by the actor who plays Draco Malfoy was done beautifully. Saturday night, after another delicious Joy Yee's dinner, a bunch of us went to Anay's place for a party. The party was spectacular. I have always much preferred house parties to bars anyway. I didn't end up in my bed until about 4:30... it was an awesome night. Sunday was actually the highlight of the weekend though. Allie's work had sponsored a boat cruise for the employees. We went all over the lake, and the river. The skyline looked spectacular at night from on the water. It was a really fun night and a really fun weekend.

1. R.I.P. Walter Cronkite. You will go down in history as probably the most accomplished and trusted journalist of all time. Everybody has written nice things about your work and impact. This quote from Playboy that my roommate found really stuck with me:

Playboy: Implicit in the Administration's attempts to force the networks to "balance" the news is a conviction that most newscasters are biased against conservatism. Is there some truth in the view that television newsmen tend to be left of center?

Cronkite: Well, certainly liberal, and possibly left of center as well. I would have to accept that.

Playboy: What's the distinction between those two terms?

Cronkite: I think the distinction is both clear and important. I think being a liberal, in the true sense, is being nondoctrinaire, nondogmatic, non-committed to a cause - but examining each case on its merits. Being left of center is another thing; it's a political position. I think most newspapermen by definition have to be liberal; if they're not liberal, by my definition of it, then they can hardly be good newspapermen. If they're preordained dogmatists for a cause, then they can't be very good journalists; that is, if they carry it into their journalism.

2. Currently listening to "Hate me" by Blue October

2 Comments:

At 10:25 AM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

Fergus reads Playboy?!

What's with the Blue October kick lately? Have you been talking to Allyson lately?

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger cyclonejohn said...

Do you remember how I mentioned I love when bands re-record their songs or perform them live acoustic? I really like Blue October's acoustic re-recordings of "Hate Me" and "Calling You".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home