cyclonejohn

Friday, June 19, 2009

Vampire chic

Have you seen all of the Facebook groups that say, "When I was young, Pluto was a planet..." and other type groups about how things have changed now in 2009 versus when we were youngsters. One thing that has changed from when I was young is the idea of vampires. Which leads me to create the new term Vampire chic. Yesterday, on my drive back to Minnesota, I stopped off for a bite to eat and perused Barnes and Noble. In there I saw about a half a dozen children, no more than eleven, reading the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer. Earlier in the week, I had caught most of an episode of the HBO series True Blood (which is their highest rated show of all time.) And this morning I read in TV Guide about the new show called Vampire Diaries; which is on the WB. Let me first throw out there that I have never read any of the Twilight Series; or seen the movie. From what I understand they are targeted to girls between 12-16. I don't quite think I am who Meyer has in mind. I have heard an amazing mix of opinions from some who say it is the most over-rated piece of garbage, to it is the best book they have ever read, to it is sending feminism back fifty years, to it is the definition of a fairy tale romance. From my small experience with True Blood, I found out right away that it is not for young girls. It is the most graphic show I have seen since Dexter. What I find interesting though is how in both of these examples, the good versus evil is blended to such an extreme that there are no true heroes... just those who are flawed and those who are really flawed. I guess my question is do you think this is good for young America? If you read Stoker's Dracula, there is a clear good and evil. Van Helsing = good. Dracula = bad. I don't keep myself up late at night thinking about these things but it has been on my mind recently. One reason that turned me off about HBO's True Blood was its banality. It doesn't take an idiot to see that the vampires (and by the way, the show takes place in Civil War era America) are a social parallel to homosexuals in 2009. The bad guys on the show are the religious extremists who want to hunt down and kill all the vampires. The vampires aren't evil; they're just misunderstood. Obviously I thought this was lame. While gays are certainly unfairly prosecuted by many of the religious extremists in America, there is one major difference... homosexuals don't want to kill you and suck your blood. Odds are this is just a fad and not a trend and five years from now, nobody will care about vampires.

1. One of my favorite movies ever to make fun of is the Michael J. Fox 1980s comedy Teen Wolf. To my pleasant surprise, it is being remade. This is going to be awful! http://www.moviehole.net/200919534-exclusive-teen-wolf-howls-again

2. Have you heard the recent Al Roker controversy? Yes, that's right, Al Roker controversy - the beloved weatherman on NBC's the Today show. I did not see it but apparently Heidi and Spencer were on the Today Show and I guess Al Roker just ripped into them for embarrassing and plagues on society. It is amazing today what constitutes as "celebrity". Yesterday I was at the grocery store and the first three magazines I saw - US Weekly, People, and TV Guide all had Jon and Kate plus 8 gossip. When did Kate Gosselin become a People cover woman? Apparently if you have lots of kids, are even somewhat attractive, and you and your husband cheat on each other is the perfect recipe for becoming a celebrity. I have to get busy.

3. Currently listening to "Crazy Bitch" by Buckcherry.

3 Comments:

At 2:00 PM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

are you aware that there is a Teen Wolf sequel that stars Jason Bateman?

Al Roker is right, though maybe that wasn't the time nor the place to state it.

Jon and Kate are pretty cool, but they have done a lot of shit lately (allegedly). But who cares? It's just that Brad Pitt and Lindsey Lohan are laying lower these days.

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger cyclonejohn said...

I had heard that Bateman was in Teen Wolf 2. I would love to see what he looked like in it?

Good for Al Roker!

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm330407168/tt0094118

 

Post a Comment

<< Home