cyclonejohn

Friday, July 31, 2009

An obituary for the superhero

Last night I saw a movie that has really been on my mind all morning. Nimit, Jaclyn, and I rented the movie The Watchmen. I give it an A-. It was nothing as I expected it to be. It is much less a superhero movie as an obituary for the superhero. More Dark Knight than Batman and Robin, the vigilantes all were remarkably flawed; which made the movie fascinating and frustrating. The Watchmen takes place in the United States between 1945-1980 in a parallel universe. The world is the same... except for a few key things (which I can't give away or I would be giving away the movie). The themes are nihilism, grit, jealousy, morality, and anger. I do have some criticisms though. This movie is definitely in the top five most violent movies I have ever seen. I have always been irritated when movies are superfluously violent. It's banal and gross. I also thought the movie was a bit too long. Three hours is too long. However, I will stick with my A- ranking.

1. I wrote a whole page on my final thoughts on the Favre not coming to the Vikings... but when I re-read it, I realized that it was boring. To summarize my feelings. I am disappointed. The Vikings will be a Superbowl contender this year and a quarterback with Favre's leadership, grit, and sheer talent would have made this season electric. Yes, I know it would be a media circus. Yes, I am aware of Favre as acerbic at worse, needy at best attitude. I think it would be worth it. Now, we will roll with either Sage or T-Jack. Sigh.

2. This could be my new favorite team of all time: http://www.beejays.com/

3. Glen Beck... you are a fucking idiot! Two days ago Fox News "commentator" Glen Beck gave us all an impressive diatribe into why he is quickly surpassing Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly as the biggest douche on television. I don't want to give him too much attention but the apex of his rant ended with, "Obama has a deep seated hatred of white people and white culture. This guy is a racist." No, Beck, you are a racist. What gave it away Mr. Beck? Is it the fact that Obama was raised by a white woman and her white Mom and Dad? Maybe that he has filled his cabinet with almost all Caucasians? Is it the fact his closest friend and advisor is a white man? Maybe you think he is racist the way he has criticised other black leaders like Jesse Jackson? No, Mr. Beck, Obama is not a racist. You are a an egocentric buffoon. AAAGGGHHH!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home