cyclonejohn

Sunday, August 23, 2009

I gotta feeling

It has been a great couple of days in Chicago. Yesterday, Allie and I celebrated my birthday by being tourists for the day. We did the double decker bus tour that lasted the whole day. They had about two dozen stops all over the city and the buses came by every 15 minutes. I had never had an opportunity to see places like Greektown and Little Italy. I also got to see UIC, Oprah's studio, and other cool stuff. There is no doubt that Chicago is a fun city. Afterward we went to this fun little tapas restaurant called Cafe Ba Ba Reeba. It was a nice night.

1. Yesterday I had my first authentic "Chicago style" hot dog. It was good. The main rule is there is no ketchup involved. You take a normal hot dog, and you add a dill pickle, mustard, celery salt, onions, and relish. It is really good. I don't really understand why you are not allowed to add ketchup though. At this place, you can add cheese, chili, bbq sauce, and other sauces, but don't you dare add ketchup!

2. District 9 might be the most over-rated movie of all time. I was really really looking forward to the movie and I was blown away by how ridiculously, laughably terrible it was. I give the movie a D. It's not that it is the worst movie of all time, it is just the most over-rated movie. I did however rent the movie Tyson. It is an excellent documentary on Mike Tyson. I give it an A-. Even if you don't really follow boxing (which is me) it is still worth $1.00 at your local Red Box.

3. Friday night, Ann, Nimit, and I went to an 80's get together in Arlington Heights. I definitely like theme parties. My apartment is tentatively thinking of having a theme party on 9/12. We are thinking of a heaven/hell themed party, fake superhero party, Anything But Clothes party, or maybe a black light party.

4. Currently listening to "I gotta feeling" by The Black Eyed Peas.

3 Comments:

At 3:30 PM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

I disagree completely with your thoughts on District 9. I think that for what it is, it is a great movie. What part of it did you think was horrible?

Let's keep in mind that it was on an impossibly small budget and the main actor had never acted before. Also, most of the eviction scene was improvised, and every alien in the movie was played by a single person. Might I also add that the "interviews" at the beginning about the aliens were actual interviews with locals South Africans about the Nigerians/Zimbabweans.

I thought the documentary part of the movie was very well put together, to cover the history without being cheesy. They also managed to switch from a documentary into an action movie without anyone even noticing.

I think the story is unique, the visual affects are glorious, and the political undertones aren't too heavy-handed though they do send pertinent message about racism.

http://digg.com/d311Kdx

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger cyclonejohn said...

(Spoiler alert)

It is so unbelievable. We are supposed to assume we can understand their language, they can understand ours? How about the human just being able to fly the alien spaceship? If the aliens had all these great weapons and superhuman strength, why didn't they attack? There were times I actually laughed out loud at the absurdity of the movie.

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

If anything, how about the fact that a human turned into an alien? I found that the most far-fetched. One would assume that he could fly a spaceship (badly) because the little alien helped and since he was part alien, he had some of their instincts. Also, I got the feeling from the movie that the aliens were very unorganized and not too bright. They may have had weapons, but they weren't immune to ours either. Remember they did say the aliens were found malnourished, so they were too weak to fight back in the beginning.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home