cyclonejohn

Monday, June 30, 2008

I haven't drank a 40 since I was old enough to drink

This weekend was full of surprises. That’s for sure. I received an unexpected call on Thursday night that Nimit would be flying in to surprise everybody and he would need to be picked up from the airport. Elyse only works half days so she actually went and picked up Nimit from the airport. When I was done with work, we went to an outdoor restaurant near Lake Minnetonka, Maynards. It was nice to watch the boats come in, enjoy good food, and catch up. On Friday night, we all met up with a bunch of people at a pub in downtown Minneapolis called Brit’s Pub. They open up their roof in the summer so we could see the Minneapolis skyline view. It got really windy but it was still a lot of fun. After sleeping in, Nimit and I worked out and played some basketball. After showering, changing, and eating a late lunch, we headed over to see Jim and Sarah for a little bit. That was fun. Saturday night we all headed over to Andrew’s house for a fun house party. I was introduced to this game called Rock Band. I have played Guitar Hero a couple of times in Best Buy but Rockstar is like a much more fun game. Besides guitar, they have a bass, drums, and a microphone. It would be fun sober. It was really fun buzzed. We stayed until about 1:30 and then went home. Sunday morning I dropped Nimit off at the airport and I thought in terms of new experiences, that the weekend was complete. I was mistaken. Elyse called and said we should go get ice cream. I said that’s fine, but let’s go to Uptown and go to Sebastian Joe’s and then walk over to Loring Park. She picked me up and while walking and enjoying my ice cream I noticed something a bit strange while walking to the park. There were an unusual amount of stickers advertising things like, Obama is for equality for all, rainbow stickers, and even an attractive woman with a shirt that read, I did your girlfriend. For those of you who are not familiar, Uptown is an area that is a popular destination for Minneapolis gays to live and be social at but this was a bit strange. And then I got to Loring Park and I saw a massive gay pride festival. There were hundreds of booths and literally thousands of people. Naturally, I was curious. (Yes, I understand curious was probably not the correct word choice.) Anyway, I also remember hearing at church last week that Westminster was going to have a booth so I wanted to walk by. Walking through the gay pride festival was one of the most unique experiences of my life. Lots of same sex hugging, kissing, holding hands, et cetera. I was not grossed out or uncomfortable, I was just… surprised for a lack of a better word. I had never seen that. There were a lot of stereotype gays but there were a lot of “normal” gay people too. It was an experience I will never forget.

1 Comments:

At 6:18 PM, Blogger Emilia said...

Loring Park is actually the area that's most known for being the gay area in Minneapolis, which is probably why Pride is always centered around Loring Park.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home