cyclonejohn

Monday, June 16, 2008

Mo to the, E to the

I am exhausted. I never really got to sleep in this weekend and I am dragging a bit. I really had a great weekend though. Friday night was pretty casual. Elyse came over, I cooked, and we watched the movie Walk Hard: The Legend of Dewey Cox. I think I can safely speak for Elyse when I say that the movie was absolutely terrible. It was not funny, it was stupid, and it was boring. Yes, I woke up early on Friday, yes, we had been drinking lemonade and vodka, but that is no excuse for me falling asleep before 11:00 with a half hour of the movie left. Saturday morning, I got up, read the paper, mowed the lawn, and went to the Minnesota Zoo. They have a new Russian animals exhibit. Normally, the animals are like 100 yards away, but I got to see three enormous grizzly bears that were literally five feet away from me. Naturally, I was quite safe behind a large sheet of glass. The MN Zoo also has two Amur leopards as part of the new exhibit. There are only thirty left in the wild. The only negative of the zoo was the guilt factor. It seemed almost every animal was endangered and all of them were due to humans destroying their wildlife, or humans polluting their environment, or humans poaching. America has had great success in helping with their endangered species (i.e. bald eagle, timberwolf, bison, et cetera) but other countries could care less. I suppose if you are the Rwandan government, you have more to worry about then the rhinoceros populations. I just always feel a little guilty. But it was a beautiful day and the zoo was fun. Saturday night, after a quick walk near Medicine Lake, I saw movie number two, The Savages. Normally, I love everything that Philip Seymour Hoffman does but I thought this indie film was only okay. It wasn’t terrible and it is worth renting, but it is not going to blow anybody away. On Sunday, a message was sent to me that I should spend my morning giving food and talking with the homeless on Nicollet Avenue in Minneapolis. I really feel it is important for us as Christians to help the least amongst us. This is from Matthew 25: 31-46:

31"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory.
32All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.
33He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.
34"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'
37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'
40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'
41"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.' 44"They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?'
45"He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'
46"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."


Sunday was Father’s Day after all, so my Dad and I decided to go see the movie Iron Man. This was the movie highlight of the weekend. I thought it was really fun. The movie was completely non-believable but it is a superhero movie. I would definitely recommend seeing it. I guess the next movie to see is The Incredible Hulk. I know two people who saw it this weekend and they both thought it was good.


1. Emilia sent me this great article this morning about sexism in the media regarding Hillary Clinton. I thought it was a fascinating article relating Sex and The City to Hillary Clinton. The article is not very long and I highly recommend you read it. http://warner.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/06/05/woman-in-charge-women-who-charge/?emc=eta1

2. On the way to work, I was listening to the sports talk station and they were talking about who is the second most dominant athlete in their particular sport. Clearly, right now it is Tiger Woods number one and nobody is even close. But that got me thinking about who were the most intimidating, dominant, most feared athletes in their particular sports. Here is what I think without giving it more then 30 seconds of thought.

-Boxing – Mike Tyson. Sure, other fighters might have been good but Tyson was not only really really good, he was also crazy. At one point, he threatened an opponent by saying when he was done, he was going to eat his children’s hearts.

-Baseball – Barry Bonds and it is not even close.

-Basketball – This one was tough. The easy choice would be MJ, but I think I would rather try to guard Michael Jordan then Shaquille O’Neal in his prime. He was just a force that was completely un-guardable. It was possible to double and triple team MJ and slow him down, but when Shaq was on a role, he was a beast.

Hockey – Gretzky

Football – This is really tough. Do you go with Randy Moss? Walter Payton? Adrian Peterson? Ray Lewis? This is really difficult.

I think in other sports, when Lance Armstrong was in his prime, he was completely unstoppable. Anyway, just some interesting things to think about.

4 Comments:

At 9:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought Walk Hard was absolutely hilarious.

...and Tom Brady would take the Football crown.

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger cyclonejohn said...

Tom Brady? That pretty boy is about as intimidating as a one legged man in an ass kicking contest.

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Rus said...

I like that you posted what you'd gotten in prayer. I'd like to hear more of it. Any thoughts about more mission in Minneapolis?

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger cyclonejohn said...

We'll just have to see.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home