cyclonejohn

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Don't fool yourself. Comcast knows exactly what you have been downloading.

Here’s a total shocker. The Republicans have done something that irritates me. A few months ago, Democrat Senator from Virginia, Jim Webb, put together a pretty basic piece of legislation. His claim was that if you attend a military academy (he attended, with John McCain, the Naval Academy) your school is paid for. If you commit to going to the military or the national guard after college you have your college paid for, then wouldn’t it make sense if you have already served in the military for you to be able to go back to college and have it paid for? After all, if you spent a few years in Iraq, the least you should be able to receive is a free public university education. However, in a blatant partisan move, President Bush vetoed the bill and Senator McCain voted it down. The Republican response is that this will significantly reduce the number of men and women who re-enlist in the military. What a crock of shit! Had a republican senator put together this legislation and the Democrats voted against it, the Democrats would be accused of being unpatriotic and not supporting the troops. To Bush and McCain, if you want more people to re-enlist in the military, then end the wars! Fortunately, there looks to be a decent chance that congress will overturn Bush’s veto because enough Republicans see the value in this.

1. Speaking of politics, I am about done with hearing all of these women say that the reason Hillary Clinton lost was because of sexism in the media. Just yesterday, Katie Couric said, However you feel about her politics, I feel that Sen. Clinton received some of the most unfair, hostile coverage I've ever seen." Give me a break! The opposite of sexism is when the media bashes all of the candidates equally and doesn’t go softer on one candidate just because she’s a female. Hillary Clinton was a master at dishing out with the best of them but whenever someone went after her, or questioned her to intensely, then it must have been the media. Here’s a thought Katie Couric, could it be that a lot of reason people don’t like her is because of her last name and not because she’s a woman? Yes, the media was hard and took cheap shots at Hillary. But guess what, you don’t think there have been cheap shots at Obama (The Jeremiah Wright scandal, his middle name, his wife’s patriotism, et cetera). You don’t the media has been hard to John McCain (his age, his health record, his family income, et cetera.) Running for politics is tough Ms. Couric. Hillary Clinton should not, and did not, get a free pass for easier coverage because she is a female. And that Ms. Couric, is a good thing. Treating all candidates equally is a good thing.

2. A word to the wise. I got lucky on Saturday night. As I was driving to go see the movie, I was on highway 494 which is a three lane highway. I was in the right hand lane and it was quite busy. Up ahead, I saw two police cars had pulled over a car about a mile ahead. I slowed down so I was going a few miles per hour under the speed limit. When I drove past the squad cars, the officer in the back still had his sirens on and got right behind me. I figured he wanted to pass me so I merged to the center lane. He followed me. Confused, I went back to the right hand lane and he quickly followed me back. I figured, I must have a light burnt out or something and I pulled over. The officer asked if I knew what my offense was, I said I didn’t, and he informed me that it is illegal when a fire truck, ambulance, or police officer is on the side of the road, to be in the lane next to them. Basically, by law, I had to merge over to the middle or left hand lane. I honestly said I have to plead ignorance to which the officer said ignorance is not a legitimate excuse. The officer took my license and registration and went back to his car while I nervously waited. About ten minutes later, he opened his door and I saw a small sheet of paper and I was crushed that I got a ticket when I didn’t even know I was doing anything wrong. Fortunately, the officer just gave me a written warning and we went over the rules. He said officers are very passionate about this as they all have heard stories of their fellow policemen getting hit. I apologized, said it won’t happen again (which it wont) and I went on my way. Learn from my mistake, if you are on a highway, even if it is busy, and you see an emergency vehicle on the side of the road, get over ASAP.

1 Comments:

At 3:05 PM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

nice blog title. ;)

I wasn't sure if it was a law, but I know it's just common courtesy. I see people do this all the time, even on the interstate. People need to understand not only the rules/laws but the proper way to drive. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten upset at someone for not pulling into the right hand lane when I come up behind them. Then I look like an ass when I pass on the right (don't do that either). On the Autobahn they put on their left blinker to tell the person in front of them that they need to move over (to the right). It's like saying "I would pass you on the left if there were more lanes". I guess it's used sparingly, and it's way worse than giving someone the finger.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home