cyclonejohn

Monday, May 19, 2008

The secret of love is seeking variety in your life together, and never letting routine chords dull the melody of your romance

The sermon yesterday morning was about breaking out of your routine. If you only have white friends, make black friends. If you only watch sports, go to the symphony. If you only watch comedies, rent a foreign drama. The point was that God wants us to grow as people and to do that we need to unlock ourselves from pre-judgments on people and places and see the world and grow. I thought all day yesterday about the sermon and I began to think of how routine my life is. I begin the day this morning by waking up at the same time I do every morning. I then eat cold cereal and read the Star Tribune just like every morning. I then drive the same way to work. The first thing I do when I get to work is check the same dozen or so websites and work emails while enjoying a hot, brewed, green tea. For lunch, I eat at one of seven restaurants, order a coke or pepsi, and read the day’s USA Today and Pioneer Press. At work I generally do the same things. After work, three or four times a week, I work out, and the rest of the time I drive home, eat dinner, and watch either the news, Daily Show, sports, or Conan… My point is that my life has actually become very routine and I need to find ways to shake up my life. I want to start doing and trying new things. I want to learn more, and expand my intellect. This has been on my mind today.


1. Many of you loyal readers are well aware of how USA Today has a tendency to put their logo on everything. Our national office sent us a variety of things they are considering for next fall’s roll out of the new promotional items. They won’t do all of them but they will have a few new items. My favorite was USA Today poker chips with the four colors of the paper all being different chips. I think these would be really popular. The worst item I saw was a visor/hat for your dog that has USA Today on it. I laughed when I read it.

2. I watched SNL today and I really liked the SNL digital short commercial with “Obama vs. Clinton”. It is a mock of the NBA commercials and it is pretty funny.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0aarMzFLjw

3. I don’t know why but I am intrigued about Mike Tyson’s autobiography. The man has led an incredibly entertaining life. The prison time, the pigeons, the biting of the ear, the championship belts, the tattoos, the cocaine issues, the conversion to Islam, his sobriety, et cetera. Maybe I will buy his book: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,356584,00.html

1 Comments:

At 4:45 PM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

It's very interesting that the sermon would be that, since we have talked about getting out of you routine recently.

That SNL video was hilarious!

I want those USA Today chips if they are made.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home