cyclonejohn

Thursday, May 08, 2008

The only way to beat temptation is to yield to it.

It has been a really shitty day at work so far. I am crabby because I just lost an account I have been working on since August. It’s really not about the lost commission. I am more frustrated at the amount of late hours, and nights, and early mornings that went into this account that are all for naught. Fortunately, there is much fruit to go after, just the low-hanging, easy to reach fruit has already been plucked. Now I have to get a big ladder, and see what I can do.

1. I did a little research yesterday into gas prices and what it is doing to my own bottom line. Yesterday at lunch, I filled the car up until it hit click. Today, I did the same thing. The total came out to $9.73!!!! That is for 24 hours of basic driving. I made a slight detour to get my hair cut so I will say I spend an average of $9.00 a day driving to and from work. If I include weekends, I am spending about $60.00 a week or about $250 a month on gas! That is an outrageous amount of money to be spent on just driving to and from work. These gas prices are killing the American economy. I might not be living check to check but I still feel it when I look at my credit card bills and I see I am spending that much money on gas. Plus, the $60.00 a month does not include things like trips to Ames, Chicago, or other destinations that I have been in the last couple of months. Roar!

2. A few weeks ago I had an interesting conversation with a group of friends about capitalism while enjoying some lunch at Staccato in Minneapolis. One of these friends, Anna, is studying to be a pastor at McCormick Seminary. McCormick is the University of Chicago’s theology school. I explained about my new interest in investing in stocks, and 401K’s, et cetera and we had a really fascinating discussion about capitalism and the modern American Christian. Here is where I figure I have no problem being a capitalist and be a Christian. I don’t want to make a lot of money so I can buy a big mansion in Edina, drive a new Lexus, and wear Armani suits. I want to have a lot of money so I don’t have to work in a “job” anymore. I am tired of dressing up to go to work, waking up too early, sitting in a cubicle, filling out Excel spreadsheets, and having a boss. And I like my job! I just don’t want to do any job. I want to retire at 30. However, to do that, I need to make some serious dough. (Yes, I realize I will not be retiring at 30.) I think that makes me okay. I don’t want to just sit on my ass either. I want to spend my days helping people, maybe do some political organizing, or whatever. I just am tired of working for the man.

3. It was hot out yesterday. Johnny had some Dairy Queen and sat near a lake and watched the water in Roseville. It is the simple things that make me happy.

6 Comments:

At 2:28 PM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

You know John, if you didn't drive all the way from Minneapolis to Canada every day for work, your gas bills would much nicer. And you would be less tired of work.

At least look for a closer apartment.

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger cyclonejohn said...

I am saving money by living with my parents right... But, if I take into account the extra money for gas, plus the storage unit, I really am only saving about $400 a month by living at home. It's not nothing but it ain't that much either.

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

is that on a really crappy apartment? Did you count the massive amounts of free cake you get at home?

'Cause that doesn't really seem worth it. Then again, I don't get along with my parents like you do, and I really wanted to be out.

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Emilia said...

I spend $59 a month on unlimited T and bus rides. Score one for public transportation.

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger cyclonejohn said...

I wish Minneapolis had as good of public transportation systems as other cities in America.

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

I second that! There's a bus that goes from my new house to work, at the worst possible times of the day.

And I feel lucky that it even exists.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home