cyclonejohn

Monday, April 21, 2008

Time flies when you're having rum

I am not well rested but it is Monday morning and time for my usual blog update with items that I am probably the only one to find interesting.

1. What has happened to my beloved cnn.com? At one point, they were my favorite website to gather news. To say their journalism has slipped would be quite an understatement. To those familiar with the website, they have about a dozen top news stories every day on the top right hand corner. Today, not only was the top headline about New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning getting married, there also was notice that Martha Stewart’s Dog, Kubla Khan Chow Chow Paw Paw Paw, or just Chow Chow for short, has passed away. Come on CNN. We now as a country care so much about news that we are reading about celebrity’s dogs?

2. While back in Ames this weekend, I was thinking about what is the hardest major in college. Let me first start out that there is no such as an easy major. I know many engineers who would rather die then be theater majors and have to perform nightly in front of large crowds. I know many journalism majors that would crash and burn if they had be a math or engineering major. A biology major might quit school out of boredom if they were an English major. I think you get my point. I think architecture might be the most challenging major in all of college because you have to be talented in so many different areas. You obviously need great creativity and artistic ability but you also need superior spatial and geometry skills. Not too mention, I have seen first hand how many hours these architecture projects take. In addition, unlike many majors, architecture is a five year program.

3. Today is the first day of warmth in months. Today’s high is supposed to be 73 degrees. I can’t wait. I plan on riding my bike, or walking around the lake, or something outside. These warm days are so precious.

4. I am sad for my fellow Minnesotans. Last week, Delta Airlines bought Northwest Airlines and Delta became the biggest airline company in the world. There is one problem though. Northwest, which is headquartered in Eagan, Minnesota, currently has 33,000 employees. Obviously, not everyone will be laid off but many thousand will. They have their own advertising, marketing, accounting, and public relations people. This is really bad news for many Minnesota families. Although I don’t know anyone directly who works for Northwest, I do have a friend whose Dad works for Northwest. Next time I see him, we will have much to talk about.

1 Comments:

At 8:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting slogan..."time flies when you're having rum"....i wonder how u came up with that one..?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home