cyclonejohn

Sunday, April 06, 2008

And the rock feels no pain. And an island never cries.

I just got back from another epic trip to Chicago. I am a bit tired after spending all day in a car but I will do my best to recap the weekend that was.

After spending Thursday night with my Grandma and Grandpa, I was ready to hit the road on Friday morning. I arrived in Barrington, Illinois (a northwest suburb of Chicago) at noon and Nimit and I immediately took it upon ourselves to gorge at Fuddrucker's. After we both acknowledged how disgusting we felt after eating a lot of red meat, and much trash talking, we knew we had to settle our differences on the basketball court. Fortunately, the nearby Korean church had a basketball court. The weather was nice, although a bit breezy. Which would be great for a long walk on the beach, but not so nice for an outdoor basketball game. I am not one to normally boast about my athletic abilities but I will note, that I did beat the Nimitar two games to one on his own home court. Uh thank you. After showering, and playing with Nimit's adorable little Australian Shepherd puppy, we ate dinner at a Josh Koo recommendation. I have eaten at a buffet before. I have eaten good seafood before. I have eaten good sushi before. But, I have never combined the three until I ate at Todai. Todai is a Japanese seafood buffet. For $25, I feasted on fresh sushi, delicious lobster and crab, excellent shrimp, and the best mussels I have ever had. It was absolutely amazing. We capped the night off by meeting some Barrington crew and relaxing for the night.

We woke up early on Saturday and immediately made our way to Wrigleyville, Illinois. This was a fascinating experience. I am quite familiar with downtown Chicago and the suburbs but I have never got to sense where the young, yuppie, trendy, artsy people hang out. I got a little tour of Lincoln Park and Wrigleyville and I fell in love with the cool shops, unique condos and townhouses, and bevy of restaurants. For those Minnesota readers, imagine an Uptown but about six times the size. I definitely would want to live there if I ever am afforded the opportunity to move to Chicago. The people were fun, lively, young, and clearly intellectual. I absolutely loved it. Of course, what could complete my Wrigleyville experience then seeing a great come from behind 9 - 7 Cubs victory over the Astros. The hot dogs were good, the beer was chilled to perfection, and it was a cool, but reasonable 60 degrees outside. Watching the Cubs from Wrigleyville is how baseball should be played. (Please note builders of the new Twins stadium, take a tour of Wrigley Field!) Saturday concluded with the two of us heading back to Nim's parents' house and watching some basketball before we both fell asleep at about 10:30. Apparently, we are that cool.

Sunday, was a fascinating day. In terms of seeing famous places of worship, I have been blessed in my life.

I have seen the famous Gaudi church in Barcelona: http://bwrc.eecs.berkeley.edu/people/Grad_Students/along/world/graph/summer99_eu/gaudi.jpg

I have seen the famous Hagia temple in Istanbul:
http://www.livius.org/a/turkey/istanbul/istanbul_hagia_sophia_25.JPG

And of course I have seen many of the famous cathedrals around America (National Cathedral in D.C., Minneapolis Basicalla, et cetera.) But this morning I took a tour with Nimit's family of the absolutely gorgeous BAPS Mandir in Bartlett, Illinois and I had my breath taken away.

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/2702701.jpg

I also learned a lot about the Hindu religion. But the mandir was so breathtakingly beautiful, that I could barely speak. Beautiful fountains, gold statues, hand carved marble and wood, et cetera. Please go visit this Hindu temple the next time you are Northwest of Chicago. After a quick Indian lunch, I was back on the road, heading home for Minneapolis. I had not taken a day of vacation since December, and I think I used my time very well.

1 Comments:

At 6:52 PM, Blogger Koo4You said...

yea i went to the Mandir in London and it was simply jaw dropping. The aesthetics were ridiculous.

i hope you can make another trip to Chicago over the summer to possibly take in the Taste and a REAL cubs game experience (left field bleachers in July when the ivy's green).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home