cyclonejohn

Monday, March 03, 2008

Television: A medium - so called because it is neither rare nor well done.

The title of this posting is Television. I will highlight today some aspects of the future of television and problems I have. First off, there are several pretty interesting things about TV/movies that have me excited.

1. Isn't it about time that Adam Sandler made a funny movie. I feel he had two really good movies in Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore, and some quasi funny movies in Mr. Deeds, the Waterboy, but he has had some really terrible movies come out in the past five years. (i.e. I now pronounce you Chuck and Larry.) I just saw a preview for his new movie and even the preview made me laugh several times. http://www.imdb.com/video/trailer/me700726451/

2. As many of you know, I think one of the wittiest shows on television is Family Guy. One of the funniest "cast members" on the show is Cleveland Brown. I was really happy to read that there will be a Family Guy spin-off called, "Cleveland". You can read about it here: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3ibde8ca74de470b93d12371ef61c0ef91

3. I was dissapointed to read that the critics did not like Will Ferrell's new movie, Semi Pro. I am a huge Will Ferrell fan and I think he was the funniest SNL cast member in their 30 year history. However, I think Ferrell struggles when he is primarily the only star in the movie. I think his funniest roles are when he shares the spotlight with others or when he does cameos. His cameos in Wedding Crashers, Zoolander, the Ladies Man, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, Old School, and other really make him the funniest man in America. To me where he struggles is where he is purely the star (Semi Pro, Talladega nights, et cetera.) However, he is in a new movie called Step Brothers with John C. Reilly and it looks really funny. Here is the preview: http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809931500/video/6672254/;_ylt=Alz4QNzlvJjQ270m9FBmA35fVXcA. I actually enjoy Will Ferrell when he breaks out of the Anchorman, Talladega nights, Semi-Pro role. You know, the quasi perverted, egotistical "ladies man". I thought he was terrific in Stranger then Fiction. If any of you are looking for a good movie to rent, Stranger then Fiction gets the cyclonejohn seal of approval.

4. When I was 12, 13, 14, I used to love watching VH1 and MTV. I tried to watch some of those networks and not only were most of the shows boring, I found most of the shows to be downright offensive and stupid. Jackass isn't funny to me anymore and VH1 has such shows as Rock of Love with Bret Michaels which are downright demeaning to women. The only show on VH1 which is even watchable is Best Week Ever.

5. I am really excited for the Writer's strike to end. My Thursday nights still feel a little empty without The Office.

1 Comments:

At 7:31 PM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

I totally agree on the VH1/MTV comment (though I still find jackass funny). I rarely watch them anymore, because their shows are horrible. I still don't understand how I Love New York was the most watched show in VH1 history.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home