cyclonejohn

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

pop rocks and a can of Jolt

I feel as if the last five months of my life I have been a customer walking around Barnes and Noble. I don't feel as if a chapter of my life has closed. I feel that a whole book of my life has ended. I have spent the past couple of months trying to decide on what to read next. Oh sure, some people have recommended I read this, and others have recommended I read that. What if you are just plain tired of reading? What if it seems like all books look like the complete works of Dostevsky? It's all too much work. Yet, every five seconds everybody asks you what you're reading and they all have a new author who you would love. What if, to be honest, you miss reading the book you enjoyed before? You know the characters, and you already find it interesting. Is that wrong? I think it is time for me to leave this Barnes and Noble and start doing my life as a book search somewhere else.

1. I think another sign of my aging has been my take on current music. I find no need to listen to new music and my musical tastes keep getting older and older. I was in northern Minnesota and I was listening to a Dean Martin CD. As I turned on the radio and flipped through the station, I stopped and listened to The Three Bells by Jim Ed Brown and The Browns. It was released in 1959.

2. I spent a lot of time today reflecting today on the announcement of Fidel Castro's retiring and what it would mean for America and Cuba. After visiting Cuba May of 2005, I don't know if I want it to change. But surely it will. What would happen if Cuba allowed capitalism? I have been thinking about this a lot but it is easier to explain my views in person or on the phone. Hint Hint.

3. I have a close friend who aligns himself with the Charismatic movement of the Pentecostal church. I decided on Ash Wednesday, instead of going to my church, I headed downtown to North Central church. It was an experience I will not soon forget. Presbyterians are known for their decorum, order, and tradition. They have majestic sanctuaries, beautiful organs, and I share the same viewpoints as Presbyterians as a whole. The Pentecostal movement really opened my eyes to a new wave of Christianity. Yes, the minister spoke in a more commanding voice; almost ordering his congregation to the path of good. Yes, the organ was replaced by a house band. But that is not what was so different. It was the reaction from the members. It was not uncommon for people to burst out in tears. Near the end of the service when a hymn was being sung there was dancing, crying, people laying down, people kneeling, et cetera. There was a woman screaming "bring me freedom". There were black men hugging white men. There were old women hugging young women. I have never seen a congregation with so much devotion and diversity. At the start of the service, to be honest, I felt a bit uncomfortable. Near the end, I really understood what draws people to the Pentecostal movement. I left fired up, rejuvenated, and with a clear mission to do the Lord's work. However, I pride myself in loyalty and I will keep my membership to Westminster for as long as I am alive. I am a proud WPC member.

4. According to the Washington Post, 44% of Americans did not read a single book in 2007. No Harry Potter no nothing. I find this to be more then mildly pathetic. Thank goodness for video games. I am proud to say I am sober of video games since September. I do not miss them one bit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home