cyclonejohn

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy it!

Greetings to all on the eve of Valentine's Day. I hope you and your loved ones have a fantastic evening. I am currently celebrating the "holiday" in my own special way by making a mix CD of some of my favorite love songs of all time. I'm thinking "I will" by The Beatles, "Real Love" by John Lennon, "Your song" by Elton John, "Just the way you are" by Billy Joel and others. Unlike other single people, I am not anti Valentine's Day at all but rather I enjoy the day. It reminds me that in a world full of war, and poverty, there is still a lot of good in this world. (And let's be honest; a lot of consumerism also.) It makes me happy to hear that at 54, my Dad still makes a special effort on Valentine's Day for my Mom.

1. I have spent thre past three days traveling northern Minnesota and western Wisconsin (Eau Claire and River Falls.) I am so glad I am from Minnesota. I love travelling for my job but after three days, I am glad to be home.

2. As further proof of the economic recession, I just read that General Motors plans to lay off, or "buy out" 78,000 employees nationwide. There are whole towns, like Jamestown, Wisconsin where pretty much the whole entire town revolves around the GM plant. Soon, not one of those employees will have a job and Jamestown will be empty. It's a strange world we live in. It all comes back to GM screwed themselves with their pension plan. When the plan was started in the 1940's, people worked until they were 65 and died when they were 69. Now, with people living considerably longer, the pension plans are crippling companies like Northwest Airlines, GM, et cetera. Which brings me to my next point...

3. Call me fiscally conservative, but it is time that the U.S. government to get rid of Social Security (or at least modify it.) First off, let's not sugar coat it, Social Security is welfare, plain and simple. As a Christian, I do feel that the government has a role in this society to protect the least among us. Obviously, that should include the elderly. But the idea that people like Warren Buffett and Bill Gates will also get Social Security is ridiculous. Plus, we are bankrupting ourselves with how we are distributing it. Let's take my Grandpa for an example. I believe he is 88. He has probably withdrawn 8000% more in social security then he ever put in. It's not his fault. Just like pension plans, social security was put into place when we thought everybody would die in their late sixties. I feel there are two reasons why we are in this recession. Number one, the war, and number two, social security. Which is why I laugh in the face when people say we can't afford univeral health coverage, or to increase funding toward education. We literally spend trillions on social security. Let's get rid of the whole idea. Thanks but no thanks FDR!!!

4. Last month, I discovered an awesome new bar in Minneapolis. It's called Temple. It's right in downtown. It had fun drinks, cool atmosphere, and the prices weren't that outrageous. As many of you know, I am also a fan of nudity. You might be wondering what my love of nudity has to do with my love of sushi... Well, the Star Tribune said Temple well be having a new nude sushi night. Apparently there is this thing that is popular in LA, and New York, and much of Asia where you eat sushi off of a nude woman or man with strategically placed leaves as the only thing covering up their "unmentionables." The Star Tribune said it was really fun. I think it may be also.

1 Comments:

At 7:49 PM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

3 out of 5 people who go on Welfare are off within a year(? it might be less than that). Take it how you want. I'm not for or against welfare, but the SS system needs help badly.

Also, I've seen the nude sushi thing on VH1. I think it would weird me out. The models/tables aren't supposed to talk to you or move. Creepy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home