cyclonejohn

Monday, January 14, 2008

100th post

I never thought I could do it, but this is my 100th post as a blogger. It is Monday and that means I have much on mind in which to write about.

1. Not that I watch a lot of The Golf Channel, but I am familiar with the recent controversy regarding Golf Channel analyst, Kelly Tilghman. In case you aren't aware, Ms. Tilghman recently "joked" that the other golfers on the PGA should take Tiger Woods and "lynch him in a back alley." HAHAHAHA!!! That is so funny. Anyway, she received a slap on the wrist from the national media and the Golf Channel. Why do you ask? Because she is a woman. How is that any different or less racist then when Don Imus in early 2007 joked that the Rutgers women's basketball team looks like nappy headed Ho's? Why, because Don Imus is a man. Joking around that you should lynch a black man would be equivalent to Ms. Tilghman saying that they should take a Jewish man out to a back alley and gas him. Or they should take an American Indian golfer and scalp him? We all are aware of the racist undertones of the word lynch. I do applaud Tiger Woods for casually brushing it off and not demanding protests or organizing a protest with Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. This was a class act on the part of Mr. Woods. Shame on you Golf Channel for not firing Ms. Tilghman.

2. I saw two movies this weekend. Balls of Fury was absolutely terrible. Please save yourself from two hours of your life I will never get back. I also saw Castaway. The 1996 Tom Hanks hit. It was good but really long. I'm glad I saw it though.

3. Oh Great! I really am not excited for the Packers to make the Superbowl vs. the Patriots and have the national analysts spend two weeks drooling over Tom Brady and Favre.

Al Michaels: "Oh Gosh, John, I just love that Tom Brady. He's so accurate and he looks great in those football pants."
John Madden: "He sure does Al. But I've never gotten over my first love, Brett Favre. #4 will be #1 in my heart."

I think I'm going to be sick.

4. There is an artsy, hangout place in Ames called The Boheme. It recently closed but it looks like there might be some talks of it finding a new buyer... That would be great!
http://media.www.iowastatedaily.com/media/storage/paper818/news/2008/01/14/Fyi/Boheme.Bistro.May.Have.Potential.Buyer-3150411.shtml

5. The big talking points in Minnesota these days revolves around my Eden Prairie. EP high school is the biggest in the state and is a national powerhouse in several sports, including football, basketball, hockey, and baseball. Recently some star athletes had pictures of them at a party with alcohol in their hands put up on facebook. Well, some rat in the school printed out these pictures and sent them to the principal. As stated in the athletic handout, students caught with alcohol face very strict punishment. Anyway, several students got suspended and this may or may not lead to a loss of scholarships or potential scholarships. The students were furious at the administration and staged a protest and walk-out. This made the cover of the Star Tribune. One, you're in idiot student if you think pictures of yourself on Facebook drinking are a good idea. You are all aware of the consequences. On the other hand, EP administration, it is pretty low that you are suspending students based on the fact that some rat student screwed his fellow students by turning these pictures in. I played sports in high school and I may have had a drink or two in high school. Thank goodness, Facebook wasn't around to get me suspended. That would have been very humiliating!

7 Comments:

At 12:16 PM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

Are you telling me that you only had 2 drinks in HS?! haha. I agree that the school was a little harsh about the punishments. Plus I heard that multiple people got in trouble and they didn't even have facebook accounts! It really just think that FB should have stayed as a college thing, but allowed students to keep their accounts post-graduation. But what do I know about making millions?

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger cyclonejohn said...

I'm with you Andrew. I really wish that Facebook would have stayed just College and allowed college students to maintain their accounts post-graduation. However, if this was the case, Mark Zuckerberg would have been worth millions. Now, he's worth billions. It's hard to blame him.

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Emilia said...

Is this really Facebook's problem? Facebook is a business, as John suggests. Why should they be protecting juvenile criminals (which is, after all, what anyone who drinks under the age of 21 is)? Isn't the real issue that high school students are dumb enough to be photographed doing something they know is highly illegal and highly punishable?

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

I don't think that FB should be responsible for what happened. They had little more control over the pictures than the people who were in them. The reason I think some of them should get a less punishment is because I've known people to go to parties and not drink. There is no actual proof that some of them had been drinking, just that they had a plastic cup.

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Koo4You said...

divo,
thats like saying just cause you have a bowl and a ziploc bag of an "unidentified green substance" doesn't mean you have pot on you.

it could just be poorly designed snorkel and a bag of oregano from grandmas...

give me a break.

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

all I'm saying is that it wouldn't hold up in court.

 
At 10:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://sapresodas.net/][img]http://sapresodas.net/img-add/euro2.jpg[/img][/url]
[b]adobe photoshop cs3 on demand ebook, [url=http://vioperdosas.net/]windows vista registration key[/url]
[url=http://sapresodas.net/]my office software[/url] computer software retail store prices of softwares
adobe photoshop cs3 install without cd tutorial [url=http://sapresodas.net/]recording software to buy[/url] kaspersky virus software
[url=http://vioperdosas.net/]cheap oem software[/url] list of software resellers
[url=http://vioperdosas.net/]freeware for windows xp[/url] kristanix software button shop v3
autocad 2009 and symantec anyivirus [url=http://sapresodas.net/]coreldraw 3d ring[/url][/b]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home