cyclonejohn

Friday, January 04, 2008

"Americans would rather vote for someone who they would work with, not someone who would lay them off."

The quote from the title of this blog entry was used by Iowa Republican Caucus winner, Mike Huckabee. Before entering politics and eventually becoming governor, Huckabee became a born again Christian and a baptist minister. Huckabee is clearly a brilliant orator and a man, unlike Mitt Romney and others, is a candidate that Republicans are so brilliant in finding. Study after study has shown that most voters in America don't care all that much about experience, or knowledge of the constitution or world affairs, what they most care about is the likeability factor. I forget which magazine, I think Rolling Stone, polls America close to the election and asks America, "Which candidate would you rather get a beer with?" The winner of that poll generally wins the election. George W. Bush is more likeable then Al Gore and John Kerry. Bill Clinton is more likeable then Bob Dole or Bush Sr. But Bush Sr. was more likeable then Dukakis. Reagan was more likeable then Mondale. I think you get my point. Mitt Romney outspent Mike Huckabee by a 15-1 margin. He had better organization. He was a former CEO of a fortune 500 company. He's good looking. He is a family man and has been married to his wife for nearly 30 years. He was an accomplished mayor of Massachusetts.

However...

He's not as likeable as Huckabee. Huckabee was featured in Men's Health a few years ago for losing 120 pounds. Huckabee didn't come from any money like Romney did. Huckabee came from a small town in Arkansas named Hope. (Same town that Bill Clinton was born in.) He's witty with brilliant one liners. He rocked out the Bass Guitar with Jay Leno on the Tonight Show. If there is one thing Republicans are brilliant for, it is nominating candidates who will win. To me, McCain is likeable and Huckabee are likeable. Fred Thompson is a prick, Giuliani's poll numbers are dropping like a rock, Romney isn't likeable, and Ron Paul's views are too out of the mainstream for him to win.

This is why I like Barack Obama.

He's likeable. I still think that the Democrats will nominateHillary Clinton for no other reason then they have a rich tradition of nominating educated, experienced candidates (Gore, Kerry) who the people don't like and don't win elections. But winning the Caucus in Iowa is a good start. The pundits said Obama can't win Iowa. "It's too white." "The young people won't come out and vote." "He's not experienced enough." Well, I'm on the Obama bandwagon and hopefully the last stop is 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

1. I recently saw the movie Juno. I thought the acting was brilliant. The writing was brilliant. I enjoyed the obscure jokes that only a Minnesotan could enjoy (the writer, Diablo Cody, is a Minnesotan.) Plus, how could you go wrong with a movie starring Michael Cera and Jason Bateman of Arrested Development.

2. For the readers who enjoy politics and/or history, please go see Charlie Wilson's War. I really enjoyed it. It is the true story of a little known congressman from Texas who almost single handedly defeated the Soviet Union during the Cold War. It has many fascinating insights on Afghanistan and how it transferred from a beautiful, flourishing democracy, to the country it became, and how America contributed to its downfall and the eventual downfall and military coup with the Taliban. I have many many thoughts on the movie so please call me if you have seen it.

1 Comments:

At 4:48 PM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

You and I will have to talk politics sometime soon. I'm still not sure who I support.

I thought Juno was the best movie I saw in 2007, despite seeing it December 30th.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home