cyclonejohn

Friday, February 22, 2008

I stepped I left and I don't regret leaving and I'd never forget all the things I saw that evening.

Albert Einstein, widely regarded as the most brilliant man of the 20th century, said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Sometimes I need to listen to this German physicist and take his advice to heart.

1. One issue I have debated with my Democrat/Liberal friends is about affirmative action. I am vehemently opposed to it because I think AA fosters more racism not less. Yesterday evening, I read a story in Newsweek about Michelle Obama. She is Barack Obama’s wife. Barack did it the hard way. He had stellar grades, did his undergrad at Columbia, worked as a community organizer for a while before enrolling in Harvard Law School. At Harvard Law, Barack graduated near the top of his class and became the first Black president of the Harvard Law Review. He was no product of Affirmative Action. His wife on the other hand grew up in a very poor neighborhood on the south side of Chicago. She had good but not great grades in high school, yet somehow she got accepted into Princeton. She talks in the Newsweek article as how nobody really took her seriously at Princeton and she was often excluded, not because of her gender or skin color, but because people just assumed that the only reason she was accepted to Princeton was because of her skin color. This is the sort of racism that is fostered as a result of affirmative action. This racism doesn’t just apply to college applications. There are numerous examples of similar issues within police stations, fire stations, et cetera. If I were a Supreme Court Justice, I would get rid of Affirmative Action immediately.

2. Anybody who thinks Hillary Clinton is out of it should look at the latest poll numbers. She has a seven point lead in Ohio and a two point lead according to CNN which just came out today. However, we are two weeks away from the Ohio and Texas primaries and a lot can change in two weeks.

3. In a little sports news, I think the Chicago Bulls did a fantastic trade. They traded two players way past their prime (Ben Wallace and Joe Smith) who both have bloated contracts for two terrific younger players in shooting guard Larry Hughes and Power Forward Drew Gooden. Kevin Garnett is the best basketball player I have ever seen live. Unfortunately I never had an opportunity to see his Airness live. Drew Gooden is the only player that ever dominated Garnett. And I have seen Garnett play live somewhere between 100 and 200 times. I’m not sure exactly where Hughes will fit in the line-up but a player that talented will find a spot. Plus, they also acquired a young, talented wing player in Shannon Brown. Who probably should have led Michigan State to a national championship a couple of years ago. This was a great trade for the Bulls.

4. I can’t believe I am saying this but I actually think President Bush has really turned it around in his last year in the White House. He has actually acknowledged and started to address global warming and he is doing a lot for the continent of Africa in fighting Malaria and AIDS. He is sending people, supplies, and money. He is also working with countries that are willing to except help like Ghana, and Kenya to improve conditions with farming, and economic issues. In addition, I admire Bush for asking the leaders of the failed Iraq war to resign and replaced them with leaders who actually know what they are doing. Led by General Petraus, conditions in Iraq are slowly starting to turn around and progress is clearly being made. He is far from perfect but at least he is improving. I think his last year in office will really help his legacy.

3 Comments:

At 11:20 PM, Blogger Koo4You said...

i dont know if i agree with you on the bulls trade.
Yes, Ben Wallace was a disappointment, but Larry Hughes is a streaky overpaid guard that is hurt more than he ever plays. Shannon Brown was a huge FLOP that never elevated past his MSU days. I like Drew Gooden, but to trade within your own division mid season? I dunno.

I know haters will say we should have never let go of tyson, but he has been a breakout kid who never showed any glimpse of offense as a bull. This just makes me more upset that we never went after Gasol, Kidd, or Kobe when we had the chance...

 
At 11:24 PM, Blogger Koo4You said...

i forgot to mention, through it all we traded away Elton Brand for Tyson, which we gave away since we got Ben Wallace. Now they are all with other teams. Brand is a franchise all star, Tyson is becoming a stud, and Big Ben will do just fine with LBJ. What do the bulls have after all this? the same problem we had from square one. No presence downlow.

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger cyclonejohn said...

I don't agree with your take on the Bulls' bigs. Tyrus Thomas, Drew Gooden, and Joakin Noah are three young talented bigs. Plus, Luol Deng is 6'9. I know that they are missing a dominat center but how many dominat centers are there? Dwight Howard is one. Yao Ming is two. After that, who else would you say because I would consider guys like Tim Duncan and Amare Stoudamire more as PFs then centers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home