cyclonejohn

Monday, April 28, 2008

Promises that will be forgotten

Today begins on a somber note. Yesterday I received a phone call from my sister, who was very shaken and upset. Earlier last night, a young woman who lives in the residence hall room a floor below my sister was raped. Two men were hiding in the restroom and when the young woman left her dorm room, the men grabbed her and dragged her into the bathroom. One held her down while the other sexually assaulted her. Unfortunately, there are barbarians in urban and rural communities. According to the United State Dept. of Education, 80% of rapists know their victims but that doesn’t mean there aren’t exceptions – like this one. The act of rape absolutely appalls and disgusts every inch of my body; even more so then murder. Most murderers do not feel what they are doing is wrong. They might be deranged, but a lot of times they are freeing the world of some filth, or acting as a crime of passion, et cetera. Rapists are different. They always know what they are doing is wrong. I don’t know what the proper punishment should be. To me, castration for repeat offenders would not bother me at all. I have no tolerance for rapists walking the same free streets as you and me. The statistics on sexual assault are alarming and disgusting. My sister did ask if anybody knows where to find pepper spray or mace. I said that I do not. If you do know where to find some, please let me know.

1. On a little bit lighter note, I did rent two movies this weekend. The first movie I saw was There Will Be Blood. To be honest, I don’t know what the big deal was about this movie. I thought the acting was superb but the movie itself was mediocre at best. I would probably give it a C-. The story is about a miner who makes it big as an oil man but gradually his greed drives him to madness. The other movie I saw was The Namesake (based on the fictional novel by the same name). The Namesake is about a boy/man who grows up in large northern American city. His parents are both born in India and immigrated when they were in their late teens/early twenties. The story revolves around the boy/man and is struggle with an Indian name in an Anglo-Saxon world, his heritage, his frustration with wanting to be a “normal” American but also please his Indian parents. I thought this movie was fascinating and I highly recommend it. I would probably give it a B+/A-.

2. I watched a lot of the NFL Draft this weekend. Even though the Vikings didn’t do a lot, it was still fun. I think the winners are the Pittsburgh Steelers. They had Rashard Mendenhall fall to them in the first round and Limas Sweed fall to them in the second. They already have a good defense but now their offense consists of: Ben Roethlisberger, Willie Parker, Rashard Mendenhall, Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes, Limas Sweed, and first round draft pick from last year Heath Miller at tight end. They could overtake the Patriots and Colts as the dominant team in the AFC.

3. This past Saturday for work, I went to an Air Force Association dinner. (They are a big sponsor of USA Today’s elementary education program.) I was really not excited but I ended up having a wonderful time. For those who don’t know, I am a huge military history buff, and it was so cool to sit next a Brigadier General on one side, and other high ranking military officers. Plus they liked me too because I think I had knowledgeable questions and I was genuinely interested in the strategy they used in Vietnam and the future of the Air Force. They also liked my stories my Grandpa told me of when he was a pilot during World War II. I might not be a fan of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan but I very much respect the men and women who wear our uniform and defend us. They really are the true American heroes.

4. Jon Stewart is coming to Saint Paul for the Republican National Convention for the week. I would love to see him!

5 Comments:

At 4:26 PM, Blogger Koo4You said...

that would mean you would have to go to a republican convention...ewww.

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

that's a horrible thing that happened, sounds like it was a planned attack?!..u can get mace at walmart/target

 
At 7:12 PM, Blogger Koo4You said...

in other news...remember how you were shocked about the price of oil per barrel? read this:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7370441.stm

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

Don't you remember all the newcasters that shot themselves with stun guns a year ago? You can get all that stuff online. I'm pretty sure I've even seen mace in the checkout line at Hyvee.

Also, I might end up with tickets to go see the Daily Show when it is in town. If so, there will be a fight to the death over who gets to join me. :)

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger cyclonejohn said...

I would win any such fight over The Daily Show tickets.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home