cyclonejohn

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

I cannot believe it but the weather is actually starting to resemble something that is kind of like spring. The tulips are starting to come up, the lilacs are beginning to bud, and Humanzee’s mini-skirts are getting a little bit shorter with each passing week. This time of year is always one of my favorites. It is kind of a symbol to put away all of the negativity and stress of the past and be reborn in a new season. Plus, it is just great to see people again. The lakes are full with eager boaters, the farmer’s markets are starting again, and there is a palpable buzz of excitement. It’s time for Johnny to get back in shape, get outside, and have some fun and oh yeah, enjoy some Sebastian Joe’s ice cream.

1. Speaking of spring, few things remind me of spring more then baseball season. I am reminded that 25 years ago, one of my all-time favorite rants occurred when former Lee Elia just rips Chicago sports fans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diqm0GMFFYI

Today, the Chicago Cubs are the Los Angeles Lakers of Major League Baseball. It is about more then the game. It is a place for the beautiful people to mingle, it is a tourist destination, and it is hard to find a game that was a sell out. At this time 25 years ago, after a bit of research, the Cubs had a pitiful record of 5 – 14 and were averaging just more then 3000 fans per game. Of course all games were during the day and few people wanted to take off work to watch the joke of the National League East (the division they were in at the time). My how things have changed. Anyway, Cubs’ skipper Lee Elia has such a great rant. How can you not laugh.

2. I applaud Barack Obama’s decision to formally announce he is completely cutting ties with his former pastor, Jeremiah Wright. Reverend Wright has said so many damaging things about America that his association has really tarnished Obama’s reputation. Unfortunately, I worry that the damage might already be done as in the national polls, Hillary Clinton now has a nine point advantage over him. That is quite a turn around for Senator Clinton. I don’t think it was so much brilliant campaigning on her part, but more the negative campaigning attacks on Obama have been brutal but highly effective.

3. We get are rebate checks from the IRS soon. I am excited. What is everybody doing with their checks? I secretly hope that Anay is offered the jobs where he would have to train in Toronto. I have never been to Canada and this would be a cool opportunity.

4. My sister’s birthday is in two weeks. I am looking for a good gift for her. If anybody has any ideas on what to get a girl who is about to turn twenty, please let me know.

2 Comments:

At 4:46 PM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

Did you just mention getting in shape and Sebastian's in the same sentence?

2. Wright is milking this for all its worth too. But on the other side, so is the media. I'm really tired of hearing about the Dem's race, but I'm even more tired of hearing the non-issue questions. I feel big media has let America down.

4. A framed picture of Nimit. I'm sure he would agree. :D Send one to Aaron's sis too, for good measure.

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger Koo4You said...

3. I consider Minnesota "Unincorporated Canada".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home