cyclonejohn

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Dude! Where's My Country?

http://www.variety.com/VR1117985577.html

Michael Moore is making a sequel to Fahrenheit 9/11… I don’t know what to think about that. I don’t know what to think about Michael Moore in general. In 2001 and 2002, few people shaped my life the way the Michael Moore did. In 2001, he had already shot the groundbreaking documentary Roger and Me and had just completed his second book, Stupid White Men. That book really opened my eyes to the business of politics, the corruption of politics, and the politics of politics. I was mesmerized and I bought copies for several of my friends. Many many discussions at Caribou Coffee’s and other assorted coffee shops dominated for about a year. My amazement in Mr. Moore was heightened even more when he released the documentary Bowling for Columbine and another book, Dude Where’s My Country? I saw him speak and was blown away by hit wit, intelligence, and passion… But then he began to change. No longer an effective speak for modern progressive thought, he regressed into a caricature, angry, liberal. Almost unable to hold intelligent conversations, he became a national embarrassment to anybody who claims to be liberal. In addition, he released his third movie, Fahrenheit 9/11 which was no longer intelligent and witty but more malevolent and cruel. He spoke less of Bush’s policies and focused more on making fun of him, Rumsfeld, Ashcroft, and Cheney. He took a turn for the immature. After that, I was basically done with Michael Moore. I did go see his newest documentary, Sicko, about the health care industry and to give him credit, I thought it was really moving and well done. I don’t know why it was not better received. On the other hand, he is such a caricature now, that he has very little respect from moderate Americans. Regardless, I will probably go see the sequel to Fahrenheit 9/11.
I am thinking of renting some movies this week.

On a recommendation from Emilia, I am planning on renting Once. But, what about the Denzel Washington movie, The Great Debaters? I love Denzel Washington but I have not heard much about this movie? Any thoughts?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home