cyclonejohn

Monday, June 09, 2008

The Early Buzz

What a whirlwind weekend. I am completely exhausted after staying up to watch the finale of game two of the NBA Finals. Friday night was pretty relaxed for me. I worked out, watched some TV, visited with my Grandpa and Grandma who were in town for the weekend from Milwaukee before a little Champs and Conan to finish the evening. Saturday was a blur. The highlight was watching the movie You Don’t Mess With the Zohan. I came into this movie not expecting much but I left pleasantly surprised. I saw the movie with Jim and Sarah and we all thought it was really funny. It is stupid, ridiculous, zany, kooky, et cetera. If you like movies like Tommy Boy, Borat, and Billy Madison, then you would probably like Zohan. It’s not a big action flick so probably save your $9.00, which is what I paid, and rent it.

1. I did watch Hillary Clinton concede the Democratic nomination to Barack Obama. As happy as I was for Obama, I really do feel for Senator Clinton. I agree almost 100% on the issues with Sen. Clinton and I think she would have made a terrific president. I just feel that Obama has a better chance to beat Senator McCain. Hillary Clinton was born in a working class, blue collar area on the South Side of Chicago. Clinton grew up a conservative and even at the age of 13, in 1960, she was canvassing for conservative Barry Goldwater for president. She continued throughout high school and early in college at Wellesley to be a strong conservative until gradually issues like the Vietnam War and the Civil and Women’s Rights movements helped permanently cement her as a champion for liberal causes. After graduating from Yale Law School, she spurned numerous lucrative attorney positions instead to work primarily in child custody cases, often times pro bono. If I fast forward several years, Hillary Clinton still never lost her zeal for family and child issues and her primary issue as first lady, senator, and candidate for president has been universal health coverage. This issue also happens to be my number one domestic issue. All is not lost for Ms. Clinton though. I have no doubt that she will find a role in the Obama administration, and if not, she could run for governor of New York, or replace Harry Reid as the senate majority leader. I would be very surprised if Obama asks her to be her running mate.

2. Which brings me to my next point. Who will Obama ask to be his Vice President? Should he take someone from a large battle ground state? Perhaps governor Tim Kaine of Virginia. He would be an excellent choice. What about a senator with more centrist, conservative credentials like popular Indiana senator Evan Bayh? He’s a good choice but I think with Obama being a senator that he should not pick another senator. This philosophy eliminates Senator Bill Nelson of Florida. Plus, I think there is no way Obama has a chance in Florida anyway. What about doing what Kerry did and choosing John Edwards? Nah. Well, what about popular New Mexico governor Bill Richardson. He is from a small state, has been a loyal Obama supporter, and might do well to bring in the Hispanic vote. The Hispanic vote, long a Democratic stronghold, is in danger of going to McCain because of McCain’s very relaxed immigration views. This has potential, especially if Richardson could help Obama win in Colorado. However, my choice is a bit of a wild card. If I were Obama, I would go with the governor of Kansas, Kathleen Sebelius. She is a popular liberal governor in a VERY conservative state. Besides satisfying the Hillary Clinton supporters who from my unofficial polling are much more saddened that a woman won’t be president then they are that Hillary Clinton won’t be president. Plus, I think Governor Sebelius would be popular in battleground states such as Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Iowa, Ohio, Minnesota, and Michigan. Regardless, Obama has several good possibilities.

7 Comments:

At 9:41 AM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

I thought you were pushing for Governor Pawlenty as Obama's running mate. What happened to that?

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Emilia said...

I really hate that Minnesota is considered a battleground state. When was the last time it went for a Republican in a presidential election?

 
At 8:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger cyclonejohn said...

Okay, a quick note. If I don't mention who I worked out with or who I ate dinner with, it is not anything personal. Relax.

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger cyclonejohn said...

Regarding Emilia's note, the last time Minnesota picked a Republican for president was Richard Nixon in 1972. Minnesota has the rare distinction of being the only state in the country in 1984 to not vote for Ronald Reagan for re-election. Unfortunately, the state has taken on a much more purple shade in the past eight years with re-electing Tim Pawlenty and electing Norm Coleman. I would not be surprised if Pawlenty is the VP of Minnesota goes to McCain.

 
At 12:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why was my comment deleted?

Seriously.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home