cyclonejohn

Thursday, January 01, 2009

How do you do what you do to me? I wish I knew. If I knew how you do it to me I would do it to you.

Yesterday I briefly reviewed 2008. Screw 2008. I am ready to forget everything about yesterday and start thinking about tomorrow. I think I did a nice job of that yesterday evening. Mike and several friends had a party at his condo. I like parties with even a quasi-theme or purpose. Per Mike's request, the attire was semi-formal. It was really fun to see the men in ties and the women in dresses. I thought this was a great idea on Mike's part. We ate a lot of food, drank champagne (and let's be real, more than one rum and coke), and just had a great time. I went to sleep at about 4:00 on Mike's chair and my phone alarm went off 90 minutes later. I got up and headed to the airport to pick up some family at the airport. Fortunately, they were on time. I then went home and slept for about four hours. Afterward, I read a bit and headed to the gym where I probably had my most intense cardio session I have ever had. I have to tell you, not much motivates me more than seeing a girl I dated off and on for four years list herself in a relationship with another guy after we broke up (again) about a month ago. I'm not angry; really I'm not. I just find myself very motivated to improve every facet of my life and I am grateful because this is the kick in the pants that a man like me needs. Let's be honest for just a minute. I'm living at home, unemployed, I need a haircut, to shave, and I drive a car that is in need of some serious repair. I'm not exactly at my highpoint and I realize that. But 2009 will be a good, big year. I can just feel it. I honestly am in a great mood and I feel very little stress. I am working on my resume as we speak and currently have two internet tabs open where I am looking for jobs. If you guys can think of any thing you feel would be a good fit, let me know. Nimit sent me a great job yesterday for a top hedge fund in Chicago that I feel I would be a good fit for. I plan on applying to that tonight. I was telling Mike one of the reasons I most want to work is so people stop telling me how sorry they feel for me. I have often been accused of loving attention too much and that is probably true. However, I do not believe that all publicity is good publicity. Of course as a Christian, my purpose is to serve our Lord and I know I am failing by basically being a bump on a log. I crave excitement, culture, emotional and physical warmth, friendship, and I am almost giddy at the idea of starting a new chapter of my life. The man who writes 12 months from now will be a completely different person... and that scares me to death (in a good way)!! Send me advice. Mail me your thoughts. Leave me funny texts. Call me just to say hello. It is 2009 my friends. This will be a year for change not just nationally, but for me in a very personal way. I can't wait.

2 Comments:

At 4:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This may be an incredibly stupid question, but how does someone with an acknowledged weakness in economics go about applying for a job with a top hedge fund? Would it be more client/sales-based? Just wondering. I really hope you get it though! Sounds like a really great opportunity!! And in Chicago, too...one of my absolute favorite cities in the world, by far.

I also have to comment briefly on "Bobby," since I actually just saw that movie for the first time a couple days ago as well. As you mentioned, the cast was stellar. Beyond stellar, actually...I couldn't believe how many A-list names were packed into one film. However, I found this particular piece of historical fiction to be very light on the "history" and quite heavy on the "fiction." There were so many different little storylines to follow - none of which actually happened in real life, and none of which applied either to Bobby Kennedy or the story of his assasination - and I found this to be a bit disappointing, especially given how gripping and dramatic the TRUE story of that night really was. I thought that Emilio Estevez came up with some relatively entertaining sub-plots in his script, but I wish that he had paid a bit more attention to the historical accuracy of what I consider to be one of the most politically transformative moments of the 20th century rather than simply using the event as little more than a backdrop for telling a series of considerably less-interesting, less-important fictional tales. I gave it a B-.

I did see "Doubt" the other day, though...Meryl Streep's performance alone makes it a must-see, but the fact that you can't possibly walk out of the theater without immediately discussing the ending of the film with whomever you're with is definitely an added bonus.

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger cyclonejohn said...

That's a good question, and fair question about the hedge fund. It would be a sales type of position. From what I understand, I would try to get investors to invest in our hedge fund. As you can see that is a vague answer as I am not 100% sure what exactly what I would do. Also, that's a fair review of Bobby. I didn't realize it lacked in accuracy so much. Absolutely, "Doubt" is on the list of movies to see.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home