cyclonejohn

Friday, October 02, 2009

back to the Sota

After a long, rain soaked, road trip, I am back in the great state of Minnesota. The state welcomed me back with miserable winds, freezing weather, darkness, and coldness. That's okay, I still have a sloppy grin of nostalgic happiness whenever I zoom around the downtowns, and finally head back home. After two interviews this week, I am ever the optimist that I will get a phone call today that somebody wants me to start on Monday. It's time.

1. When I picked up both of the local newspapers, both the Pioneer Press and the Star Tribune had serious warnings from the Minnesota Vikings that they fully intend to move the team unless the state of Minnesota pays for a new stadium. I am furious with the politicians in Minnesota. Yes, it will be an initial short term investment, but it would be an economic disaster for the state if the team leaves. Minnesota is above all else, a football state. Last week, the Vikings vs. 49ers game earned an unheard of 64 share of the TV market. For non-TV rubes, that means that 64% of households with a TV had the Minnesota Vikings game on in the Twin Cities market. If that is not the highest in the country, it is darn close. The Vikings deal with the Metrodome runs through 2011. The Vikings have absolutely no contracts after that. Contracts with vendors, sponsors, et cetera. All of them end in 2011. This is the Vikings laying the foundation for a move. And if they do, the Vikings will have no one to blame but themselves. Don't take this as me excusing the Vikings. With the Twins and Gophers leaving, the Vikings are free to revamp the Metrodome to their own liking. No, they not only want a brand new, outdoor stadium, they are blackmailing the state to pay for it. As much as this irritates me, the economic loss of the Vikings loss is too great not put up the money. Think of all the restaurants, hotels, tourism, TV deals, radio deals, and more that would suffer if the Vikings move to LA, San Antonio, or Portland. Come on Governor Pawlenty. Come on Minnesota politicians. Get your act together.

2. Speaking of major sports disappointments. The International Olympic Committee had narrowed down their list of potential 2016 Summer Olympic choices to Madrid, Rio, Tokyo, and Chicago. Chicago finished with the fewest amount of votes... by far. I think this is for two reasons. One, the city was completely uninterested. If half of the city residents don't want the Olympics, you don't think the IOC will notice that? Second, the city has become the murder capital of America. In just September, there were over fifty homicides. The city of Chicago has become unbearably dangerous. When I talk to my Chicago friends, they seem to brush off Chicago's reputation as a super dangerous city. The truth is that it is not just how it is perceived, it is the reality. Chicago is becoming way way way too unsafe.

3. I recently watched the movie Primal Fear. This is the movie that came out ten years ago that starts Edward Norton and Richard Gere. Norton won the academy award for his portrayal of an alter boy accused of murdering his priest. I give the movie an A+. I absolutely loved it. It is a dark drama that has awesome twists and tremendous writing/acting.

4. Two nights ago I saw the musical Jersey Boys. I don't know what I can write that hasn't been written a thousand times. The music is awesome, the acting was great, and it was so much fun. Even the theater, Bank of America Theater in Chicago was spectacular.

5. Currently listening to "I heard it through the grapevine" by CCR.

2 Comments:

At 8:10 PM, Blogger Koo4You said...

2. I dont think Rio is a "step up" in the crime ladder if you ask me. Its as infamous for gang violence, prostitution, drugs, and murders as it is with Mardi Gras.

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Koo4You said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home