cyclonejohn

Monday, June 07, 2010

Back in my day...

Do you all remember when the MTV Movie Awards used to be relevant and funny? Between flipping around the NBA and NHL finals I decided to see how comedy newcomer Aziz Ansari would do as host. I was a little surprised at the choice of host. Considering Ansari's only break has come from a supporting role in a little watched NBC comedy (Parks and Recreation). However, I thought I would give him a chance.

He stunk.

When I say relevant, I might be incorrect. The show was still watched by 16 million people - the kind of young, impressionable people that make the audience very relevant to advertisers. It's possible that the sad reality for me is that I am just getting too old to appreciate it. I did not know who some of the presenters or performers were. I didn't get some of the jokes. I did not know the songs that were performed. I have never seen Twilight - which one half the awards. I guess I just felt old watching it.

One other thing... (in my best sarcastic voice) How incredible shocking was it all when Scarlett Johanssen kissed Sandra Bullock?!?! Really, guys? I mean I understand that some people's ultimate fantasy is the lesbian thing. That's fine. I'm not here to judge. But isn't the shock value completely gone? When Neve Campbell and Denise Richards had sex in Wild Things it was shocking. I was even decently shocked with the Spears/Madonna/Christina kiss in 2003. But now it has been done so many times that I am completely bored. I have blogged many times that any times a movie or tv show tries to "shock" me, I immediately discredit it as a lazy writing.

Anyway, the MTV awards show had some good moments. Snoop Dogg always brings it. Tom Cruise reprising his role as Les Grossman from Tropic Thunder was really good. Other than that, even some of my favorites like Will Ferrell let me down. Again, maybe I am just getting too old for MTV.

1. Really Elton John! You hypocritical sell-out! This weekend Rush Limbaugh got married and guess who performed at the reception? Elton John... for only $1 million. That would be the equivalent of Rush paying me $300-400. There is no way I would do it. I could not live with myself. I am extremely disappointed in you, Elton. I expected more than you to be a sell-out to the worst of mankind.

2. Nimit introduced me to this new show on History Channel (I think) called Pawn stars. The show is about a family that owns a Las Vegas pawn show. They have a bunch of crazy people come in with crazy stuff. I know the concept sounds lame but after two episodes I could see myself getting hooked.

2 Comments:

At 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rush is an entertainer and so it Elton. Its amazing people still get up in arms about what he and Ann Coulter say as both would want you to get up in arms.

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger cyclonejohn said...

I completely disagree with you, Anonymous. I completely disagree that Elton and Rush on the same level of "entertainer". Rush has 20 million listeners everyday who hang onto his every word and slowly get brainwashed into radically conservative viewpoints. His listeners even refer to themselves as "ditto-heads" - thereby acknowledging that they will do and say anything he wants them to do and say.

Elton John sings pop songs. His vocal range and musical intelligence might inspire some people, but he does not change the world everyday like Rush.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home