cyclonejohn

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Mars vs. Venus

I have never been one to call myself an expert on women. My most recent confusion involves the movie Sex and the City 2. Despite awful reviews, I think every young woman I know has seen the movie. Most of them coming out of theater and telling me, "I really enjoyed it. It was fun. It was an escape." This "escape" is what puzzles me. There are lots of shows that bore me. SATC is in a different world... at times it infuriates me, insults me, and offends me. And yet, every woman I know loves it. Yes, I realize that I have nothing in common with four middle aged women and their struggles with maternity and sexuality. Or, that growing up in the Midwest, I don't have such a fine appreciation for Manhattan. Whatever the reason, I am just baffled at the joy my female friends get from this group. I guess I just shake my head and agree to disagree - a men are from mars, women are from venus kind of thing. After all, how many women do you know think watching Jackass or a Sylvester Stallone movie is their idea of a good time. The thing is, in general, with those kinds of movies, I would agree with the women. Jackass is incredibly stupid. And Stallone needed to retire after Rocky. I just hope that SATC popularity fades after this weekend's hype... quickly.

1. I am hardly considered hawkish when it comes to the military. I believe war is sometimes necessary, but has to be the last option possible. If there is one thing that bothered me the most about W. it was his incredible arrogance and hard-ass approach he took with other countries. Proudly bringing Machiavelli's famous quote "It is better to be feared than loved" to life. However, other country leaders did fear him and sometimes that benefited the United States. I think it is pretty safe that most of the world leaders like Obama but view him as a weak push-over. Little more than one year as president. Russia, Turkey, and Brazil openly trade with Iran - driving the Obama administration. China could care less that the United States needs their help in Pakistan and South Korea. The problem is I am being contradictory. I don't want America to revert back to arrogance, but I also don't like how important, rising countries are openly meeting and doing business with our adversaries. It's getting more and more troubling.

2. Now I know most of you are not following the Colombian presidential race like I am, but I am hoping that might change. Remember the name Antanas Mockus. He is leading in the polls to be the new president of Columbia. Why is that name important? Because Mockus is the kookiest candidate for a top thirty economy I have ever seen. It's not like Mockus does not have the credentials on paper. He studied philosophy and mathematics at some of the finest institutions in the world. He was the mayor of Bogota - Columbia's capital city. None of this seems that strange. However, he also was known to dress up as a superhero to inspire Bogotans to unleash their inner superheroes. He sent out a mini army of mimes to calm down unruly drivers. While working at at university, he once mooned student protesters. He's crazy but he is also brilliant. While mayor, crime was reduced, the welfare system was erected, and the environment has stronger protection. Needless to say, I will be cheering for him.

6 Comments:

At 7:53 PM, Blogger Mike said...

SATC is to women as Entourage is to men.

1. This is why we should have elected McCain. He wouldn't let any of that shit happen. McCain isn't a pushover. He won't allow anyone to push him over...because if he is pushed over he's gonna have a hell of a time getting back up with those arms of his.

2. If Mockus wins, he should appoint Superman as the head of the army. Oh wait, he's a cripple. Oh wait, he's dead. Not so super I guess.

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

The last Bond film I saw was the first one with Daniel Craig. There is a scene in it where Bond hops into his car and roars down the winding road only to spin out and roll the car. I remember loving the way that car sounded as he started it up. And I'm not even a car guy.

No woman remembers that.

Instead they remember seeing all the designer dresses that Carrie tried on in the first S&tC movie. I know this because I attended it, on opening night, with a bunch of friends and I heard many gasps from the audience.

We are simply wired differently.

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger cyclonejohn said...

Great comments! I think the Entourage comparison is really good.

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Emilia said...

. . . I remember the car scene that opened that movie. I don't remember the sound, but I remember the car.

I also remember the piss-poor way that movie dealt with rape, from calling it "doing things" instead of what it is (rape) to sexualizing the act of rape by filming up the dress of the girl who was about to be raped as the Bond Girl entered the room and rescued her, as if to say "sooo, did he get her panties off yet?" I might remember that because I'm a woman.

I have seen three episodes of Sex and the City, and I hated them all.

Guys, really. People are people. There may be some biological traits that tend to align themselves more with one sex or the other, but they're not predictable or reliable, nor is it fair to assume that anyone of any sexual identity has or does not have any trait based on their sexual identity. When you do that, that's oppression.

And biology certainly isn't linked to designer dresses versus designer cars (because that's what they are). Please. Meet some new people of every gender identity.

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are men who like Sex & the ciity. they're called gays!

And chicks who like car engines are called lesbians.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home