cyclonejohn

Thursday, June 21, 2007

The worst of the phobias

I think of all the phobias, the worst to have would be homophobic. If I were to walk down Manhatten and tell a friend I was homophobic, my friend would say, "You are so narrowminded; you need to hang out with more gay people." I don't think that is true for all phobias. What if I were claustraphobic? Do you think that same friend would call me narrowminded and that I need to crawl into more small, dark spaces? What if when I was a kid, an enormous gay man fell on me and hence the homophobia... Oh well, fortunately I am not homophobic.

2 Comments:

At 6:23 PM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

I think you have Helenologophobia, fear of complex scientific terms. Or maybe Paraskavedekatriaphobia. Look it up.

I guess if you think about it, I probably had a large gay man attack me. Most likely didn't know he was gay at the time though.

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Emilia said...

I think homophobia is more bigotry than an actual phobia in most cases. But either way, that's how phobias are treated. Those with arachnophobia (which I can't spell) are exposed to spiders, for example. Basically it's because phobias are irrational fears, so if you're exposed and forced to deal with the things you fear, you realize that what you fear can't actually hurt you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home