cyclonejohn

Monday, June 11, 2007

Viva Cuba??

I was watching CNN last night and there was this short report on Fidel Castro's health. It appears that he is improving. With Castro in his eighties and with an at best, another ten years of life left, I have spent some time today wondering what will happen to our neighors in the southeast. Cuba is after all, a half hour plane ride from Miami. I also found some interesting facts about Cuba form the United Nations Development Program.

Infant Mortality Rate per 1K children: America (7), Cuba (7)
Under 5 mortality rate per 1k children: America (8), Cuba (8)
Life expectancy at birth in years: America (77), Cuba (76)
Adults living w/Hiv/Aids: America (0.6%), Cuba (0.03%)
Physicians (per 1k persons): America (2.6), Cuba (5.18)

I could go on but my point is that Cuba really is doing a lot better then America in several categories. The fact that 97% of Cuban adults are literate shatters the United States. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying communism is a sane form of government. I guess I would cite Sir Winston Churchill when he said, "Democray is a terrible form of government but it is the best we have." If Castro were to pass away suddenly, I am very curious as to what will happen. I think either two things will happen.

1, there will a major battle between current political leaders and we will go more into a repressive regime then we could imagine.

2, I think most likely that the new Cuban leader will at least negotiate trade with America. If the new leader has one capitalist bone in his body it would make sense to trade with America. Back in the thirties, forties, and fifties, Cuba is where all of America's wealthy vacationed. With its beautiful beaches, and relatively cheap entertainment, it made sense. Plus it was a heck of a lot closer then Hawaii. Yes Cuba does have a moderate tourism area with visitors from South America but it could expand and really help its people but also maintain its nationalism. Cuba is such a beautiful, wonderful place. I can't wait to see what the future holds.

1 Comments:

At 2:01 AM, Blogger Emilia said...

The future holds it basically being a resort for the US. There are so many businesses that have been hanging out in Miami for years waiting to pounce the instant Castro dies. It is too profitable as a little exploitable tourist island for that not to occur. I would be quite surprised if Cuba is able to maintain anything that looks to anyone who thinks like sovereignty. Not that they're necessarily a sovereign nation now, depending on who you talk to. You've been there, I haven't, so you probably know better than I.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home