cyclonejohn

Monday, January 26, 2009

Mexican beer and good conversation

My life is very quiet right now. I am spending a lot of time in reflection - which has been good for me. Although I am outgoing, I am also introverted. By that, I mean I gain strength and power through just spending an undetermined amount of time by myself just collecting my thoughts before I take on a new challenge. This weekend was a quiet weekend. Friday night I had every intention of going out but with the weather being miserable, and the fireplace crackling in the living room, I just decided to spend a night in. For me, Friday nights are really no different than Wednesday or Monday nights, and I was out late on Thursday. I spent much of Friday night on Facebook. I had never noticed in the inbox page, that there is a sent section. Every message I have ever sent in my four years of being on facebook was there. I had a great time perusing through the past 4+ years. Inside jokes that I had long forgotten caused me to laugh once again. Romantic messages once again made me smile. Even silly little things like sports predictions from 2004 were funny to read. Sometimes I was right on... other times I was completely wrong. If you have some time this week, I suggest you do this. It was like opening a little diary. The rest of the weekend was great. Saturday night, Mike and I tried a new restaurant, Laredo's, in St. Louis Park, drank some Dos Equis, then watched some stand-up comedy. On Sunday, I spent the afternoon with my good friend Adam X. We spent the afternoon in friendly, but spirited political discussion and I also tried yet another new restaurant, the 58 club in Richfield. Great hamburgers! All in all, it was a really nice weekend.

1. Besides Facebook, I did watch a movie Friday night. I rented Driving Miss Daisy. It won Best Picture in 1989. It takes place in the 1950's in Georgia and dives into classism, racism, and other societal issues without being preachy. I give it a B+/A-. Morgan Freeman was incredible once again. Also, he looks the exact same in 2009 as he did 20 years ago.

2. Once again, nobody told me Barack Obama was a Republican. He is proposing an $825 billion stimulus plan. However, 82% of it will come in the form of tax cuts - not on things like improving infrastructure or creating "green" jobs. Basically, everyone who reads this would save $500 a year in their 2009 taxes. We wouldn't get a check; we would have a little less taken out in taxes each month. Here's the problem, we have tried it before and it doesn't work. CNN ran a poll asking respondents what they did with their stimulus check last year. Only 20% said they spent it. 78% said they either paid off bills or saved it. 2% gave their check away to charity. That's my point!! If only one in five people will use their check to stimulate the economy, then the plan doesn't work. Paying off your second mortgage or saving it will not stimulate the economy. I want 100% of the stimulus money going to creating jobs and improving infrastructure.

3. Today was not a good day for the economy. Do you know how I mention that everyday it seems like some big company is laying people off? CBS is reporting today that these companies are laying off these many people today or in the very near future:

Wyeth Pharmaceuticals - 8000
Sprint - 8000
Home Depot - 8000
General Motors - 2000
Texas Instrument - 3400
Caterpillar 20,000
John Deere - 800
Halliburton - 5000
Intel Corp - 6000
United Airlines - 1000

To summarize, CBS is reporting that today or in the near future 50,000 more American jobs will be cut. Unfortunately, they will be applying to the same jobs as I will be. How do you stay optimistic when you read that? Maybe I should just take a receptionist job somewhere, keep applying to other jobs, and hope for the best.

1 Comments:

At 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One thing to keep in mind is that when people save money (in a bank account) it gets put back into the economic circulation through bank loans, which are use to buy products. Also, when people pay off their credit card bills (we'll say $500), they then see that they have $500 worth of credit to spend again, and since Americans think paying off their debt is the answer they go buy a camera or stereo and get put back in the same position they were in.

America (in general) thinks that credit cards are the problem, when in fact it is our infatuation with spending money on the latest and greatest gadgets and toys.

They are merely treating the symptom, not the disease.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home